Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
billprotzmann
My Device: Not Specified

Random reboot resolution process is broken

All --

Because of the random reboot issue, I'm now on my 4th Storm since the "new out of box" one purchased in February 2009. Verizon Wireless' policy is to ship "3 replacements in 90 days" but only the third one is guaranteed to be a "new out of box" -- this means that VZW will send two "100-point inspected" units before sending a truly new one. VZW claims that this is a RIM policy/procedure. Since it takes a couple of hours to "change" phones, you can count me at 6 hours' time to experiment with the 3 replacement phones I've been sent, plus time on the phone to VZW Customer Care, plus whatever time has been wasted by the random reboots themselves. Yes: all three of the prior Storms rebooted randomly. Hopefully this recently-manufactured one won't.

Luckily I'm getting pretty savvy at this process, because my GF's Storm also reboots randomly...and the broken RIM process of replacing that Storm with a good, working copy has only just begun.

Question:

1) RIM & VZW: can you fix the broken process so that we users don't have to go through three broken phones before we get a good working one?

Please use plain text.
amgrip1

Re: Random reboot resolution process is broken

I was really happy with my Blackberry 8800 World edition phone and I truly regret having switched to the Storm. The battery dos not last very long, the signal strength is much weaker and although it has all the bells and whistles such as a good camera I am going back to my phone  service provider tomorrow to get my old phone re activated. I have lost calls, on the Storm, there is no option to specify the number of rings, and the touchpad is infuriating at best. RIM is a great company, the Blackberry is a fine instrument but why did they want to compete with the IPhone by bringing out the Storm? I am a businessman and the World Edition Blackberry is the right tool and I am going back to it.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

[ Edited ]

if you are a business man and dont think that rim should have competed with the iphone by doing the storm... why did you get one? if you 8800 worked so well, and the iphone/storm touch screen is such a bad idea, why didnt you get a bold or a curve 8900? Dont blame your decision to try a device you didnt believ in on rim. They made a device, yes to compete with iphone, but also to catch a different market. The storm isnt for everyone, the iphone isnt for everyone, hell even the cell phone isnt for everyone. buy the product that best suits your needs, not the one that is fancy and new. RIM is just trying to give you more options, doesnt mean you have to take them. I happen to love my storm and I have an original.

I do not have freezing problems.

BTW, all carriers purchase BBs from RIM, then they stock them and sell them to the customer. It is the carriers warrenty. replacements are carrier related. And personally sometimes I would rether a refurb, especially if its a brand new refurb. At this point its a dud that went out in massproduction. got to a consumer and returned in a few days. then it is sent back to testing and spend special care on it fining whats wrong, when they find the bad chip, they replace that 1 chip and the device is brand new again(except for the couple days the user had it) only this time it is better built than the first time.

I purposly buy some of my electronics this way. I have found them to be more reliable in some cases.

Now if the BB was used for 9 months then returned and refurbed thats a different story and you can tell because the BB wont look brand new.

And another thing, RIM and Verizon(or any other carrier) employees DO NOT work on these boards, so posting a question at them wont help. This board is BB users helping BB users.

Has anyone tried removing their media card and see if the rebooting stops happening. ahs anyone checked their available memory? have you installed apps or themes that might be crashing the device? have you tried reinstalling/upgrading the latest software?

Message Edited by drizzt09 on 07-16-2009 11:26 PM
Please use plain text.
amgrip1

I agree with you that I made the wrong decision based on wanting the "newest" gadget. The Storm is a fine instrument in many ways but it is not suited for my purpose.  My son in law has been drooling over it and I shall pass it on to him and get back to my World Edition BalackBerry.

Thank you for your enlightened comments.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
billprotzmann

yes to all of your "have tried" questions -- no fixy
Please use plain text.