Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Restoring email, other files to new 9530

I received a new Storm after the other one just continued to malfunction.  I don't have a lot of data on the old phone but I recall reading that when doing a hard reset, there's some function w/in Desktop Mgr that will keep the old email and transfer that to the new device. 

First of all, I'm still trying to get BB Desktop Mgr and the drivers running right on my PC, so I'm not sure that'll work anyway.  (Annoyingly, I also have to get the old phone back to VZ or I get charged...like I have nothing else to do with my time....:-P  ).  Also, before I got this unit, I had to go through the hard reset routine and that wiped this device clean.  I learned later on that wiping it clean means you don't get access to those emails again.  The phone #s and contacts, etc., I have backed up separately, but is there any insight here on how to manage the email transition from old device to new without losing the emails and not using the utility?  And, I'm going to take it that sending all the same emails to myself again is just absurd.  

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Restoring email, other files to new 9530

Yes that utility is called the Switch Device Wizard in the Desktop Manager. You can read more about it here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB16291

You could also use the Backup and Restore feature of Desktop Manager to backup the data on your old phone. When you get you're new phone you could then go back into Backup and Restore to restore it to the other phone

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for that link.  All this time I had been trying to install the Desktop and Device Manager directly from VZ's site, but it never seemed to install properly.  I figured it was something w/my machine.  Then I decided to d-load and install the app directly from the BB site and that worked fine. 

As far as switching devices, I was able to backup the old device and then disconnect it.  I'm now trying to get the new device set up, disconnected the old one and plugged in the new one.  But I didn't take the battery out of the old one so I'm plugged in and it does seem to be making a connection.  I have a feeling this isn't the way to do it.  Should I take the old battery out of the old one and put it in the new one?  

BTW, I also don't want to purchase another battery and another cable just to go through this routine.  

Contributor

Actually, I'm re-reading the instructions for the switch device wizard and I can see that it actually thinks I'm going to have 2 cables and two batteries in addition to the two devices.  That's more than I care to mess with, esp. when I only need one battery and one cable when things are working properly.  I wish VZ would've just supplied both with the new device. 

Elite I

What data are you trying to move over to the new one?

Since you used the backup and restore on the old device, you can put the battery in the new one and connect the new one to your PC. Then you can use Backup and Restore | Restore to restore the data onto the new device. Or you can go into Backup and Restore | Advanced if you just want to restore certain databases to the new device.

I'm surprised you didn't get another battery and cable with your new device though

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Contributor

Nope...no new battery or cable.  I tried both the Device Switch Wizard and the Backup and Restore.  When I put the battery into the new one, I just have a symbol on it (can't recall) and a message saying something about software.  (Sorry to be lame, but I just can't take the battery out of the old one, put it in the new one, just to get this message.  The old one still works sort of and I need it right now and can't afford down time.) 

Actually, when I first tried to use the new one, w/out the battery, it actually seemed to respond better.  I was able to see it in the "restore" section and initiate some kind of restore procedure, but then it crapped out halfway through, again an error message on the PC that I didn't write down and can't reproduce right now. 

Oddly enough, when I had the battery in, it really didn't even show up as connected.  Under "Device connected (PIN)" it's "none."  And then when I click that or "Connection Options" under the Options menu, I can see that the device is connected; there's a USB with a PIN number.  But when I select that, it has no effect.  Returning to connection options, the option is still unselected.  And of course the "Restore" button is greyed out.  

THanks anyways...will def. inform VZ they should've sent me the battery and cable (or you thought they should)

Elite I

Hmmm. well when you get a chance let us know what the error is so that we can better direct you to what may be wrong on the new one
Contributor

When it is plugged in USB to the laptop w/no battery, it displays a no battery icon.  The PC cycles through a USB device being connected and disconnected (USB connect/reconnect signal chimes).  Otherwise, on the device, the indicator light on the top right is red.  Otherwise the screen is completely dim now w/no image.  Note: when I first did this, right after I did a "Switch Device" routine with the old one, something did happen with the Desktop Manager.  And it went through some process of connecting w/the device and doing something...but I'm sorry I wasn't tracking that and can't reproduce it for now. 

Next, I'll try it with the battery installed in the new one.  Stay tuned!

Contributor

When the new device has the battery in the screen displays the message "Reload Software 507" and a symbol of a rectangle with the shapes inside of it (circle, square, triangle) and a big circle with a line diagonally through it.  Now when it's connected to the PC, I still see Device Connected: none but when I look under options and Connection Options it's still blank, but there's now an option under the dropdown that says "USB-PIN: xxxx" with a number in there.  But whenever I select that and return to the Main Menu, the Device Connected remains "none."  Same thing with either Switch Devices or Backup/Restore...the start/restore buttons are greyed out.  There's no way to get it to recognize anything. 

That about brings you up to speed on all options I can dream up over here.

Contributor

wait...late breaking news.  i see that the App Loader interface presents active Start buttons for Add/Remove & Update Software.  When I have some more downtime I might try these.  Would help if you can confirm that this won't wreak more havoc, but is a good thing.  thanks for listening..........