Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Screen Trouble! Won't Turn On!

I have had my Storm for over 2 months.  I have had several minor problems but nothing major.  The other day I put my phone in my pocket and removed it several times during the day to find it had turned off.  I held the power button and it would turn back on.  The next day when I attempted to use my phone the screen would not turn on.  I pressed the screen itself as well as the hard keys.   I pulled out the battery and rebooted the phone.  The screen came back on, I sent a text message, and put it down.  The screen blacked out and I picked it back up several minutes later to see the reply but the screen once more would not turn on.  Although the screen won't come on the phone is still on because the hard keys will light up, the screen will go from completely black to a lighter shade, and the LED light still works.  The screen is not completely broken though,  after you try to turn in on about 10 times it will finally come back on.  When the screen does eventually come on the phone goes crazy.  I tried to send a text and the letters were very delayed, sections of the keyboard would shift on top of each other, and wavy lines ran through the whole screen.  After the phone blacks back out the screen won't work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Screen Trouble! Won't Turn On!

Hi and Welcome!

Wow...bummer. Have you tried multiple battery-pop hard reboots? And leaving the battery out for at least a minute? And is the battery drained down? And have you installed any new apps just before this went crazy?

Just a few areas to consider -- you seem to have the requisite technical ability to follow through from these paths. But, none of them may be correct btw...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Wow thanks for the quick reply!  Yes I have removed the battery at least 20 times.  For the first time you use it after it reboots it will work with the exception of the wavy lines and things I mentioned before.  After you're done and it blacks out it will not come back on.  I have deleted all messages, changed background to default,  even changed my text in order to get it to work. 

As far as the apps,  I downloaded the Strom Piano 4 or 5 days before this began happening but it wasn't immediate after I downloaded them.  That is currently the only app I have downloaded.

Other than that, any other ideas?

Hall of Famer II

Sadly, my only other thought is a full wipe to factory fresh condition. Something seems corrupted and only a wipe will reveal if it's software or hardware. If it works fine after the wipe, then it was software and you can continue on. If it still acts up, then there's something wrong at the hardware level and you'll want to take it to your carrier for warranty evaluation and (hopefully) replacement.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I did a hard reboot but the same problem happened,
Hall of Famer II

davisdog2012 wrote:
I did a hard reboot but the same problem happened,

Hard Reboot -- you mean a battery-pull reboot? (In RIM terminology, those are equivalent.) Since you'd done that 20 times already, I really wouldn't expect a different result. What I'm suggesting is a wipe -- wipe to factory fresh condition (and you lose EVERYTHING that is not backed up) and start over.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Since the newest thing you've added to your phone is the piano program, I'd try deleting that first, just in case it's the problem.  Follow it with a hard reset (the battery pull).  If that still doesn't work, I'd also probably suggest a complete handset wipe.  But before we do anything else (beyond deleting the piano application), can you answer one question for us?  Do you know what OS (operating system) you're running on the phone?  If not, you can find out by going to Options > About - it's the number that starts with v4.7.0.??.

Finally, if none of this works, you might have a hardware issue, in which case, your best bet is to take the phone back to your carrier.  It is still under warranty and if it is a hardware issue, they will replace the phone with another.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I'm sorry, yes thats what i meant.  I did a complete wipe of the handheld through the options menu.  I thought it solved the problem at first but after blacking out once more the screen would not work.  I left it at the house all day today instead of taking it with me.  When I first checked it, it didn't work.  Hoping for one last attempt i removed the battery and it has been working for about 10 minutes (knock on wood).

As far as the os, it has been working just long enough for me to check and it is v4.7.0.75  

Hall of Famer II

So sorry...but it is now sounding like direct carrier/RIM support is in order. Sorry.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I'm in agreement with sdgardne... this is sounding more and more like a hardware issue, thus take your phone into your carrier for warranty service.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!