Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
sugardaddy
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Separating EMAIL boxes, not just the SMS and email

sdgardne wrote:

What? Can you restate all of that? I can't quite figure out what your question is...

Thanks for your effort!

I'll put it another way...

I can create a filter not to "forward" a message to the device if the "to:" address is my personal account.

And here's the question...

If I did that, I don't think the messages would be received into the view accessed by the Icon for the Personal Account.  Am I correct?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

That is correct...if you create a BIS filter, nothing that results in "True" against that filter will come to your BB, and thereby won't be reflected in any icon location that it would otherwise be reflected (neither in Messages nor in the separate BIS icon for that account). But I guess what I'm failing to understand is how that relates to the topic of this thread...BIS versus BES and separate versus combined icons on the BB...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sugardaddy

sdgardne wrote:
... I guess what I'm failing to understand is how that relates to the topic of this thread...BIS versus BES and separate versus combined icons on the BB...

The original poster asked "Is it possible to set up the phone in such a way as to have 2 emails account go to separate folders?"

I'm trying to see if there is a way to write a filter that would help this.  That's how it relates.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

So you mean a filter on the device? If so, I've seen that suggestion before for those who prefer to manage all of their email from all accounts from within the main Messages app and then ignore the additional icons created by BIS. I've never liked that solution for myself, but the device-level filters don't work to create the separate icon (which some like to call folders)...only the solutions provided achieve that goal. The beauty of the device is that there are multiple solutions to problems and the method of interaction with it is also flexible so that those (like me) who perfer to work in separate icons can...and those who prefer to work in just the one icon also can.

Enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmseva

The message notifications in the message folder in the home screen, are they considered txt messages? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sugardaddy

jmseva wrote:

The message notifications in the message folder in the home screen, are they considered txt messages? Thanks

In my bb Bold, there are four notifications on the home screen that may be what you're talking about:

1. Small Envelope Icon - this is along top of screen, and has a number beside it that shows how many unread email messages you have.
  2. Small Envelope Icon, Tilted - this is beside the other icon, at the top of the screen, and is tilted/italicized to tell it apart from #1.  It is for SMS (text msgs) and MMS messages.  Both #1 and #2 won't show at all if there are no unread messages. 
  3. Normal Envelop Icon - this is in the button area of the screen, and is how you get into your email.  If you have new messages, it will have a red asterisk on it.  This is the same mail as referenced by #1.
  4. Normal SMS Icon - again, in the button area.  This is how you get into your SMS & MMS messages.  Same deal with the red asterisk; it will be there if you have new messages.  This one has a rudimentary phone graphic, with a slanted/tilted envelope juxtaposed on it.  It was not in my home button area by default; I had to put it there.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tnutley

HI - I have a related problem to your thread. As you have explained, copies of all my email messages appear  in my generic 'message' folder. I have 3 separate email folders/address so as you can imagine, there is always a red asteric by this folder. Unfortunately, all of my text messages also go to this folder.  As a result, I I have no idea when I receive a text (unless I happen to be close to my phone and hear the alert).  Is there any way to create a folder just for my text messages? Or stop the copies of all ofther messages going into the 'message' folder so that all I see in there are just text messages?  It is driving me crazy.  I get more email messages than texts so if I want to look and see if I got a text I have to randomlly scroll throught the LONG list of emails in the 'message' folder.  Thanks in advance for your help.  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

tnutley wrote:

HI - I have a related problem to your thread. As you have explained, copies of all my email messages appear  in my generic 'message' folder. I have 3 separate email folders/address so as you can imagine, there is always a red asteric by this folder. Unfortunately, all of my text messages also go to this folder.  As a result, I I have no idea when I receive a text (unless I happen to be close to my phone and hear the alert).  Is there any way to create a folder just for my text messages? Or stop the copies of all ofther messages going into the 'message' folder so that all I see in there are just text messages?  It is driving me crazy.  I get more email messages than texts so if I want to look and see if I got a text I have to randomlly scroll throught the LONG list of emails in the 'message' folder.  Thanks in advance for your help.  

Hi there!

It depends on your OS version and the capabilities that it has...try these two things and see if one of them 1) is available and 2) if it is available, setting as described should create a separate icon on your Homescreen that is devoted to SMS/MMS only and nothing else:

• Homescreen > Messages > BBKey > Options > General Options
  • Scroll thru to find a setting for SMS/MMS -- set that to "Separate"

--OR--

• Homescreen > Messages > BBKey > Options > Main Message List Settings
  • Uncheck the "SMA And MMS" tic box

See if that works. One of those should get you a separate icon devoted to only SMS/MMS.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.