Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Forums Advisor II
My Device: Z10 10.2.1.3247
Accepted Solution

Serious traveling user thinking of buying Storm -- but some questions...

Hi, as I say, am considering the storm.  But, I am confused by the data programs and lack of wifi.  So, when traveling (I'm in the USA) to Europe, for example, you are ALWAYS data roaming when you use data on the phone?  Was told by Verizon that I could get an unlimited data roaming package for $69.99/mo.  No wifi means I can't use hotel wifi (cheap or free). And, because they refuse to unlock the GSM/SIM side, you are always voice roaming?  (Voice roaming data program, $64.99/mo).  That's 1619.76 a year.   What am I missing?  Thanks
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8330

Re: Serious traveling user thinking of buying Storm -- but some questions...

Scrannel,

There is no wi-fi capability on the Storm. :smileysad: You are correct about the data plan but if you do not plan to be overseas for the entire year, VZW will prorate your data package back to either 29.99 or 44.99 data plans if you are residing domestically. 

Hope that helped....:smileyhappy:

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you! :smileyhappy:
Forums Advisor II

Mill,

Thanks for the info.  Have to think about it, as the prorate makes it better.  Very nice phone, but it is very locked down.  There's a house we often rent in the South of France where -- at that location -- there is no cell service, but the house has wireless.   It just seems designed to force you to use service Verizon controls or has a piece of.  I'm on TMo right now, and they unlock my phone, free.  When overseas I have never found a network I couldn't roam on, and with the unlocked SIM, if I chose, I can get a local SIM and make it very cheap for people in Europe when they call.  Will think about it, though.

Thanks

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Hey scrannel, just so you know, you can get unlock codes for the Storm on Verizon.  You may or may not be able to get one directly from Verizon, but if not, there are several unlock services available.  I know that one that another forum member recommends is called Horizon Wireless.  They are located in Canada and from what I've been told, provide good quality service.  (They can unlock your phone remotely using your IMEI info).

I hope that helps in your decision.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Forums Advisor II

[ Edited ]

Krypto,

Thanks.  Aware of this and similar services.   On one hand I applaud the"idea" of creating a seamless world service for the consumer.  Most people just want to jump on a plane, and when they arrive wherever, have their phone work, regardless.  On the other hand, that shouldn't mean that those who are travel-savvy shouldn't have the option of doing it their own way.  And, in my case (Southern France) w/o wifi I'm w/o service. So, even if I were to embrace Verizon service options... I'm still out of luck. 

But, if I may ask: I was told by Verizon support that if you are not using data you cannot get/send text messages?  Is that correct?  In fact, is there an option on the phone that lets you shut off data-roaming?   On my GSM phone, when I shut off data roaming, I still have phone and text service. 

Thanks

Message Edited by scrannel on 04-02-2009 11:16 AM
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8330

Scran,

The Call and SMS (Text) features operate on the 1xRTT platform (voice) and therefore even if you block data, you can still text and call without interruption...

Hope that helped! :smileyhappy:

If I successfully help you with an issue, thank you for clicking "kudos" in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you! :smileyhappy:
Forums Advisor II

Great, thanks Mill.  Opposite of service rep's belief, which seemed off. 
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

It's possible the rep might've mistaken instant messaging and text messaging (perhaps just a slip of the tongue - I know I've done that sort of thing before :smileysurprised:).  SMS works just fine without a data plan, but instant messaging requires a data plan.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Forums Advisor II

Thanks Mill & Krypto,

Appreciate the help with the Storm.  So, one last blast of questions and I'll leave you all alone.  

1) I need to be able to receive pop3 email on the phone (of course) and download ANY attachment.  Most specifically, I need to be able to download, read, and forward PDF docs and WORD docs including Word 2007.  It is not required that I be able to edit WORD docs on the  phone.  

2) Must have a speed dialer and phone must be able to speak the name of the incoming caller (if in contacts, of course).  I sometimes use on my motorcycle with Bluetooth. 

Thanks

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Verizon will unlock your phone. Just call Verizon Global activation department. Tell them you are travelling out of the country and they will walk you through unlocking your phone. Last week I just had two Storms unlocked for a trip to Argentina and I have already sent for two Argentina sim cards that we can use when we are there. They will increase your data plan just for the amount of time you will be away.