Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
rodalfa
My Device: Not Specified

Sound profiles problems

I think RIM has made a big error changing the way sound profiles are managed in Storm (Kudos this if you also think it!), quite differently from previous devices.

In my Pearl I used to use the quiet profile during work time, with especial ringtones and very low volume. But now the quiet profile doesn't sound at all... I don't know if it's a problem with a ringtone (a standard MP3 that has been working perfectly in the Pearl, but now in Storm, like most other sounds sometimes it doesn't sound from time to time and without reason).

Someone can tell us what are the differences between the Normal profile and the other pre-configured non-modificable profiles (loud, quiet, vibration, etc..)? Are they working for you?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rredfox
My Device: Storm

Re: Sound profiles problems

You can easily modify any of the profiles to whatever level or behavior you want.  Just select the profile then while still in the list of profiles (sound menu), scroll down to "Set Ring Tones/Alerts" and do what you wish with them.  I'd like to note, there is no "Quiet" profile (standard) the one listed is "Silent" and it truly is.

You can also create a "custom" profile, name it what you wish and set it up in any way you want.

If you've been helped by this post, please click on "Kudos".  If your problem is solved, please resolve it by clicking on the 'solution accepted' button. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rodalfa

Thanks for your answer, but:

1. Yes, I have a vibrating profile and a "silent" profile, I assumed silent it's the quiet profile, as the other one (vib) is also with no sound.I though silent is opposite to loud, and it means low volume, not no volume, for this you have the vibration one.

2. Anyway, I'm not able to change the quiet, silent, loud, etc. profiles: when I have the window to choose th profile, I have only three options, none of it are "set ringtone/ sounds" as you say. They are: "define predertemined values", define alerts for contacts and custom profiles. Could you explain more in detail how to change them?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
erostou

I'm experiencing the same issue with the sound profile settings.  How do you know what the profiles are set to for Loud, Medium, Vib, etc...????  When I change one, it's the same for all.  Can anyone assist with this problem?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Koala88
My Device: 9530

The fact that if you change a contacts sound profile for say SMS to a different tone, but the phone still sounds when you set the phones sound mode to silent just isnt right. This needs fixed.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ChXion

What rredfox was trying to say was that if you scroll the down the screen in "sound options" you can find "Custom Profiles".  You can create a profile for work by individually choosing different sound options/actions for messages, emails, texts, phone calls, etc.. and then once you save that profile it will be found beneath "All Alerts Off" in your intial go to list when you press the sound option button on your homescreen.
Please use plain text.
StrawManB

[ Edited ]

Koala88 wrote:
The fact that if you change a contacts sound profile for say SMS to a different tone, but the phone still sounds when you set the phones sound mode to silent just isnt right. This needs fixed.

YESSS!! THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM!! IT NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH ASAP!!
Message Edited by StrawManB on 01-14-2009 02:31 PM
Please use plain text.