Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
kerrglen
My Device: 9520 Storm 2

Starting camera causes Strom 2 (9520) to crash

Hi,

I have a 9520 which I upgraded to official release 5.0.0.341 and it was ok for the first few weeks or so. However over the past couple of week I have been having issues with the camera causing the device to reboot.

From a fresh boot the camera will work without any issues, however after the phone has been working for 2-3 hours, if I try to start the camera it causes the phone to crash and reboot. I am assuming some kind of memory leak?

Short of trying to wipe the device and reload, anyone seen this before or know of a way I can fix?

Looking at the last event log before the crash I see the following event:

Name: System
GUID: 97c9f5f641d25e5f
Time: Dec 29, 2009 22:51:32
VM: 600001 gc=0 idle=0 native=net.rim.device.internal.camera.Camera.startViewfinder 

-Kerr

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Starting camera causes Strom 2 (9520) to crash

can you list all the applications you have installed on your device ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kerrglen
My Device: 9520 Storm 2

Ok,

I don't think any 3rd party apps, or additional RIM apps are the problem here.

Why?

Because what I did over the weekend was completely wipe the device (using BBSAk) and then re-loaded a base O/S onto the phone. I went for 5.0.0.402, which I know is a leak but I thought the newer the better.

Anyway, without any additional apps what so ever, after a number of hours running I had the phone reset on me when I tried to start the camera. This was a number of hours where I had been trying to open the camera and it worked, I must have done it approx. 20 times over a 2 hour period before I eventually had the issue. 

Anyway, I am now beginning to think I have a H/W issue as I haven't seen anyone else complain.

Cheers,

-Kerr

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Joolone
My Device: Storm 2 9250

This problem is more common than you think. My Storm 2 has done the same thing when using the camera. After searching the web I discovered many people had this happen to them. One of the main solutions was to uninstall WiFi Hero. I had this app on my phone so I deleted it and rebooted and the issue seems to have gone. Shame as WiFi Hero worked really well.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shoup
My Device: Storm 9550

I bought my 9550 last Friday and the phone has crashed twice whil using the camera.  The screen completely locks up and the unit goes black.  This is my first blackberry and it sent me into a total panic.  I held the power/lock button down for a while then let go and kept repeating that until it decided to boot up again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Squinz
My Device: 9520

[ Edited ]

Hi Joolone

I've read your post.

I would like to inform all readres that I've not installed WiFi Hero, but I've this nasty problem.

Best regards,

Squinz

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fyrdurst
My Device: storm 2 9520

i have the same issue..stress stress..what shud we do now

Please use plain text.
shevytaylor
My Device: Blackberry 9550 - Storm II

Same problem with my 9550!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Colton
My Device: 9550

This happesn with my 9550.  Has anyone figured out why?  Has BlackBerry acknowledged the issue?  Right before the BB resets, a screen flashes up.  It's too quick to read completely, but there is a black button on it that says in white wirting "RESET".  Pretty annoying.  Overall, the 9550 is pretty annoying.  Too many glitches, and not very good for writing emails or texts.  A pretty phone with little substance.  I wish the Torch was on Verizon.

Please use plain text.
DoctorH1999
My Device: Storm 2

Same problem here. Very annoying. Verizon iPhone available on Feb 3. Storm 2 in trash on Feb 4.

Please use plain text.