Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550

Storm 2 9550 won't correctly connect to computer

For whatever odd reason, this thing won't correctly recognize it as a separate drive; it instead attempts to read it as TWO drives, which never works. Why is that!? (running OS 5.0.0.1015) At first I had chalked it up to just being these crappy publice library computers, but it never hurts to be entirely certain...

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Storm 2 9550 won't correctly connect to computer

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

If you have a Media Card inserted, you will always see two drives...one for Device Memory and the other for the Media Card. But...

Shinkenred wrote:

For whatever odd reason, this thing won't correctly recognize it as a separate drive; it instead attempts to read it as TWO drives, which never works. Why is that!? (running OS 5.0.0.1015) At first I had chalked it up to just being these crappy publice library computers, but it never hurts to be entirely certain...

What, exactly, does that mean?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

What I mean is that first, I've never seen a BlackBerry with a memory card show up as two separate drives when linked to a computer. It usually reads the memory card. The Curve 8900 & Curve 8530 behave that way...so I would think the Storm 2 should as well. Second, in this case, the computer acts as neither "drive" is there - try to click, and it says "please insert a disk into drive __ ". Does this help?
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Yup -- helps indeed.

On all both my Storm 1 and Storm 2, I've always had (except for some glitches in one OS level) two drive letters assigned by Windows (as described above). That's how it works.

It sounds like perhaps you don't have Mass Storage Mode fully active. Please ensure that Mass Storage Mode is allowed:

• KB13564How to enable or disable mass storage mode on the BlackBerry smartphone

Also ensure that you have the RIM Desktop Software fully installed to your PC:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I see. Mass Storage Support is set to ON...or so says the option list. Perhaps it's the desktop software. Next time I get a chance to hop on the computers at the library, I'll see if the desktop software didn't install completely. (if it didn't, that would be a crazy thing to show and function like it did...) Thanks for letting me know that the Storm 2 counts as two drives!!
Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

A public library permitted you download and install the needed software??

I've used library computers at various times over the years and have NEVER seen one that allows patrons to install personal software.  Most have it set up so that only administrators can perform installs.

You'd need the drivers at a minimum and DTM.  

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
Solutions: 6,097
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Shrink, the Storm2 actually can have THREE memory spaces.

It is easier to understand if you look at this way.

• Application memory 256kb
  • Device Media Card "built-in" 2gb
  • Your self-installed Media Card (1-32gb)

So, understanding that above, the 8900 and many other devices don't have this middle, or Device Media space. The Bold 9000 has 1gb built in, and the Torch 9800 has 2gb built in. The 8900 has none.

So, when you connect to a PC, you should see, as stated, two memory spaces available. You won't see the Applicaiton memory connected, ever.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates