If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
Buzz_Lightyear
My Device: Storm 2 9520
My Carrier: O2

Storm 2 Wifi Shut Off Cannot Restart

Hi...I have a new unlocked Storm 2 950 running 5.0.0.497 that I'm using on O2 Germany with the BIS package.  It's been running fine for the week I've had it but today I noticed that wifi had turned off and could not be turned back on.  The wifi logo completely disappeared from the display, checking "Wi-Fi" under "Manage Connections" would silently fail (with a red "X" on the far right.  I finally removed and replaced the battery and after perhaps 5 minutes wifi came back on.

The only change to the phone is that I installed a MicroSD card today.  I've since removed it (man is that an ugly slot...fodder for another thread I guess) just in case.  Google tells me that this is (or was) a common problem.  Any workarounds?  Tips?  Tricks?  I'm still in the return period but actually like the phone and don't want to send it back.

Thanks...

Buzz

an iPhone refugee

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Buzz_Lightyear

Re: Storm 2 Wifi Shut Off Cannot Restart

So far it seems to only happen when the Micro SD card is inserted.  No idea why but when the card is removed the phone works fine.  I just sent the Storm 2 back and my mobile operator has sent me a new one running 5.0.0.669 (Bundle 1133, Platform 4.2.0.304).  We'll see if this one behaves better.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Buzz_Lightyear

Re: Storm 2 Wifi Shut Off Cannot Restart

Replacement works a treat, no problem with wifi when MicroSD card is inserted.  The only glitch with the replacement is the keyboard as it seems quite sensitive to providing me with double characters.  I'll see if I can dial that back in the configuration settings.

Please use plain text.