Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

Storm 9500 Error Uncaught exception on SMS button & Message button after 5.0 upgrade

Hello,

I have tried twice to upgrade my 9500 Storm via the Desktop Manager to 5.0 OS.  (I am on Verizon.)  Each time, I get the "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException" message when I click the SMS button.  I can receive text message (new message is indicated), but I cannot access them.  I tried to link my SMS messages to the "Messages" button (which was working), but got the same "Uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException" error when subsequently pushing the Messages button.

I reinstalled (downgraded) to the 4.7 OS, and it fixed the issue; however I REALLY don't want to stay on 4.7 for it to work.  Help!

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Storm 9500 Error Uncaught exception on SMS button & Message button after 5.0 upgrade

Question, when you are upgraded to the OS 5 release, are you also using the BBMessenger v5 release?

Not that it should matter, I just wonder.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Storm 9500 Error Uncaught exception on SMS button & Message button after 5.0 upgrade

[ Edited ]

If the BBMessenger upgrade is separate, then no. 

I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon the first time I tried, and they could not resolve it.  Tried calling *228 and reprogramming the phone, updating the roaming capabilities, Re-registering the Host Routing Table, etc.  The technician even tried getting on the device and could not get it to work.  It's an error with the upgrade - maybe a corrupt file. 

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

I am getting that message with visual voice mail and if I try to use it the phone gets hung up.

New Contributor

I had to do a "Clean install" of my device software.  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320&slic...

Then I just selected the address book and blackberry message database to restore - did not do a full restore of backup (when I did, it stopped working again).  It's a corrupted database somewhere.  Try this.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

I get the uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception error also. And I agree it is a version 5 problem. I had the problem with my Storm and also the new Storm 2. Version has given me two Storms and now a Storm 2. All used version 5.0 for the OS. If I could find the 4.7 version of the OS for the Storm 2 I would downgrade the OS in a heart beat. BlackBerry needs to correct the issue with the Java engine. It seems that they either do not know about the problem or are choosing to ignore the issue. I have wiped and reloaded the OS four times and the problem does not go away. All wiping and reloading the OS does id put the same bad JAVA engine back on the device.

If anyone can tell me where to locate the 4.7 OS it would be wonderful