Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
chaile76
My Device: Storm

Storm Charging / Battery Problems

[ Edited ]

So my phone seems to have died on me after a full charge over night and VERY limtied PHONE use (no video/pics/internet and no horrible signal locations) and it dies on me after about 10-11 hours....

But now the bigger problem is that when i plug it in to charge it doesnt seem to be charging... I just see a white screen with an icon or something that loks like a battery with a lightening bolt on it... I have tried leaving it plugged in for a while then turning it on... Ive plugged it in to my desktop with the USB cable and it first says connected then quickly says disconnected.... Whats the deal???

***UPDATE**** After having been left plugged in my computer for about 30 min it seems to be charging "correctly" showing the screen on it now....  SO my question is now 2 parts

1. What happened?  was the battery icon thing meaning it was completely dead or something?

2. And Ive read other threads on the battery dying early... I made sure apps were closed and other than adding some contacts and sending 3 emails I didnt use any other functions other than about 8-10 calls none more than 10 minutes long.  Is my battery faulty?

Message Edited by chaile76 on 01-18-2009 08:29 PM
Message Edited by chaile76 on 01-18-2009 08:46 PM
Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Storm Wont Charge - White screen - battery picture with "lightening bolt" icon???

The lightning bolt through the battery icon indicates that it is charging (or connected to the charger). 
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rredfox

Re: Storm Wont Charge - White screen - battery picture with "lightening bolt" icon???

It sounds to me like you got the battery so low it couldn't even open the OP.  When some devices get down to a point like this the OS is smart enough not to start with too little battery for it to even boot.  (An incomplete startup can really corrupt some of these devices.)

Glad it is charging now.

One thing you could try next time is to pull the battery THEN plug in the external power and see if the unit will start.  Once it does you could put the battery back in.  A caution if you're going to do this: be sure whatever you're using for external power is very stable and not likely to come unplugged while the unit is booting.

If I (or any other contributor) have helped, Please click on "Kudos" in the post you found useful.

Thanks!

RR 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chaile76

I have had this a week and today is the first time I have seen it... it normally has been a clock or black screen...

But I still am concerned about how fast the battery died on me... seems it has become worse the last two days.

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
chaile76

Redfox..... hopefully it wont come to that.

As I said my bigger concern is the speed at which the battery was drained.  Ive seen others hint to this problem.... I already reduced the back light and followed other tips prior to today and it still drained fast to day than yesturday.... Is this a battery problem or a phone problem?

Truth + Clarity = Power

Please use plain text.
Contributor
chaile76

Re: Storm Charging / Battery Problems UPDATE

Just thought I would say that the battery performed AMAZINGLY today.... Didnt really do anything different... didnt use it as much for the first couple of hours but actually browsed the internet more and was on myspace and face book and watched videos more after lunch than I did yesturday and my battery showed only ONE bar was used by 10pm tonight.... my day started at 7:30AM... Dont know what the difference was but I hope it stays that way!!!
Truth + Clarity = Power

Please use plain text.
woocha
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm Charging / Battery Problems

hi guys..

i'm new blackberry bold 9000 user, my BB shutdown byitself before 2 days ago and it wont start on again ! 

so i charged it the red LED start to show and white screen with battrey icon in the middle it looks like empty battery, then it turns to small clock and it keeps spinning over and over again until it bcome black screen then it starts the same begining !

i tried to restart the BB by pressing Alt - right Shift- Del still does not work ! anyone can help pls 

ASAP... 

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

To start, you're in the wrong forum.  This one is for Storm issues, you have a Bold.

Secondly, the white screen with the clock is the "re-boot" screen.  You probably don't want to interrupt that when it's doing it's thing.  

Third, you could try a battery pull just to do a hard reset and see if that helps things.  (it seems to cure a lot of Storm issues)

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
jrdante
My Device: Blackberry 9530

If your new to Blackberries, I mean a regular cell phone was your last device, you have to get used to somewhat of a quick battery drain.  Charging it everyday is perfectly normal.  I usually have to do mine once during the day and once at night.  Don't forget that these devices have a constant internet connection and cell tower connection.  Combine that with phone calls, bluetooth, text and picture messaging,  picture taking, maybe a quick video, contact search, music playing, maybe a game or two.....all these things add up....also trying to keep this stuff in memory uses battery life.  I think you have a normal battery...just gotta get used to your device multi tasking and using the juice.  Hope this info helps you out.

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Please use plain text.
ptb476
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm Charging / Battery Problems UPDATE

I ran the updates on the storm the other day.  Since then, my battery will not hold a charge at all.  Using the phone for a couple of minutes will almost entirely deplete it.  Any thoughts or advice?  Verizon's only advice is to bring it in and let the tech people "look" at it for a few hours. First, I can't believe I am the only one having this issue, and second, I need my phone.
Please use plain text.