Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

Re: Storm Memory Leak

Mohican_raider wrote:

However, my argument is that I bought a product, that "advertised" itself as providing a fix set of capabilities comparable to the iphone, of which it was completely unable -even to this day- deliver.

Well there is a common feeling about buyers, I don't know where it comes from. It is true that Jim Balsilie said that a BlackBerry device was like a tiny computer (sic). But RIM has never advertised or even said publicly that the BlackBerry Storm 1 or BlackBerry Storm 2 were anywhere near a competitor for the Apple iPhone (1, 2, 3, 3G or 4). Because well, it is not. Back when the Storm was released, there was no AppWorld, no thousands of applications available in a RIM store, the games looked like designed for an Amstrad CPC 6128, and there was not even scroll flick.

But I am sure the sellers at carrier shops did a great job of deceiving their customers saying that.

my opinion is that the Storm series are BlackBerry devices, with a touchscreen. Nothing more. The iPhone has great features, and BlackBerry devices have great features too. It's good to have a choice.

Mohican_raider wrote:

But the 3G iphone does essentially what it advertised to do: good tactile interface, good apps, and no "protected memory" BS.  Most people who own one like it (unless you live in NYC).

well security is something that people often love & hate. They usually hate it until the day something happens.

For example, the browser : on OS6, RIM has shifted from its closed proprietary browser to the open source WebKit browser. Yes, the same as in Safari and the iPhone browser. back a few days ago, an exploit was revealed. The exploit gives an open door for a skilled hacker to access your memory card, including BBm back-up contact list and BBm chats if you save them on the device.

Thanks to security, the hypothetical hacker is not able to access your emails, your password manager or your SMS or your browser history & cookies.

That is security.

But the most common misconception is that RIM wanted all that security. As you are aware, the BlackBerry OS allows applications to run, and those applications are programmed in Java for Mobile (they call it J2ME). Well, for all J2ME applications, they can only work if they are located in the Application Memory. That is true for all J2ME applications, whether for BlackBerryOS or for AndroidOS.

and J2ME was designed so that programmers could easily have the "binary files" of the application stay in the Application Memory (which is incredibly limited on BlackBerry devices), and the "data files" of the application stay elsewhere : device media memory or media card.

For example the video application allows you to store videos on the media card. Same for some third party applications like Shazam.

Unfortunately, most developers for BlackBerry device were lazy and decided to put the data in the Application memory. Not the mostr clever way of behaving given the constraints.

So it all comes down to this: the Application Memory is designed to be tiny. This decision by RIM is questionable, I do not have the answer to that, except the one that you won't appreciate: RIM does that so you change device when you feel the Application Memory is too narrow for you.

and for your specific case, I believe you are out of the norm. On my current BES 8900 that was released around the same time as the Storm1, my emails take up to 20MB, which means around 9000 HTML emails, which is a lot but if they were on my Storm I would still have plenty of space to install Google Maps and BBm 5. So maybe some work can be done to see what exactly eats up your Application memory. We can help if you wish.

Mohican_raider wrote:

So, my point is: why should I trust BB to sell me a phone that works?  It clearly won't update any product older than a couple of years. 

well, faith ! :smileytongue:

but to be more serious, the Storm1 and the Torch are very specific models. If you look at reviews, when the second one is heard of, all the blogosphere shout happily "that's how it should have been released the first time".

So ulterior versions of the device are condemned to be much better.

For example the Storm2 continues to receive OS releases even in march 2011, when it was released two years ago.

Mohican_raider wrote:
My very old Motorola Razr does exactly what it is supposed to do and as advertised to this day.  The Storm never did and based on your comments, never will.

I did not express myself correctly then.

Back when I had the Storm 1, I was very happy with it. Despite seeing what the iPhone was able to do at that time. It's only when I got my Storm2 that I realized how much better it was compared to the Storm1.

About device obsolescence : Samsung releases 400 models a year. and for a single city in the US you will see 50 of them in a year. That is a lot. RIM releases around 5 devices a year. It's not the same amount of work, and when they release an OS they make sure there is a lot of fixes in it. I hope it will change and that we will be able to apply patches and not install an entire new OS, but RIM always take their time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: