Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
sarhaynes
My Device: Blackberry Z10 bridged to Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Storm Performance Issues (and some suggestions)

I want to start off and say that I do like my phone.  When it works (which is most of the time) it works great.

But there are definately some software issues.  As a Software Engineer the OS has some serious memory management issues.  This appears to cause most of the problems I am having with phone.  I am running the latest Verizon S/W (v4.7.0.148).

Problem #1:

I am a paranoid person.  There is a lot of personal information on my phone, plus I currently have international dialing enabled as I do need this feature.  So to protect myself my phone locks when it is the holster or after a period time of non-use.  This is just good practice.  Part of the draw of the Blackberry is the security that you can configure on the device (I'm not paranoid enough to enable all encryption protections--yet).  The Storm's problem is that it can take from 1 to 5 minutes to get the phone unlocked when unholstering.  This is not an exaggeration.  As memory performance becomes worse, the time takes longer.  If I had to make an Emergency Call, this could be the difference between life and death.  5 minutes is a long time to wait to dial 911.  This has to be fixed!

Problem #2:

The phone has to be "reset" once a day to recover "lost" memory.  This is just poor programming.  I don't know if this BB OS problem or the Apps that I run, but in either case this is just not right.  After restart if I go to the memory display under options I may have about 3-5MB of memory free.  After a couple of hours of use this will almost alway be back to "0".  I have installed MemoryUp Pro that seems to have extended the amount of time between battery pulls, but I still don't think we should be asking all BB Storm owners to pull there battery once a day.  The other response I get is "Don't run so many Apps".  I exit all my applications when done.  The only ones that I keep running are:  Google Maps (Latitude), Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, and Blackberry Messenger.  All other running apps you can't exit (Phone, Home, Browser).  I have tried not running the "optional" stuff and the performance didn't really get much better.

Problem #3:

Missed calls.  This is probably related to the memory issues above, but if the Storm can't be used as a phone, then I should purchased something else.  Although the occurance of this problem has gone down since I installed MemoryUp Pro and perform the reset once a day, it still happens about 1 in 5 times.  It takes so long for the phone to "wake-up" when a phone call comes in (especially if it is holstered), by the time I hit "Answer" the call has already gone to voice mail or even worse, the phone won't ring at all.  All I get is a missed call notification from "Unknown Number".

Problem #4:

Battery performance could be improved.  The battery that comes with the Storm has about a 24 hour life with both the Radio and Bluetooth on.  This isn't really a problem if you know this.  I have solved problem by buying an extended life 2700 mAh battery from BoxWave that  I use when travelling.  It makes the Storm kind of bulky, but will give me 2-3 days of life.  I don't know how this could be improved otherwise

I do hope that the Developers at RIM are working to resolve some of these performance issues.  Certain tasks should be given higher priority then they seem to have (like Phone & Unlock). 

Sean

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,824
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Storm Performance Issues (and some suggestions)

Sean, what model Storm are you using, you failed to say?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sarhaynes

Sorry, it's in my profile.  It's a Verizon Storm 9530.

Sean

Please use plain text.
JSanders

sarhaynes wrote:

Sorry, it's in my profile.  It's a Verizon Storm 9530.

Sean

Thanks, Sean. I am so used to users here not filling out their profile, I rarely look there.

I would recommend that you load up OS release .151, it's really nice and will likely solve some of your issues, specifically your issues #1, 2, and 3.

For #4, battery drain is gonna happen. Get a charger for your car and/or office and top off the battery any 10 minutes you can, you'll notice a BIG difference in the battery life. These Li-Ion batteries are NOT meant to drain completely. That hurts the battery life badly and can acutally cause quicker draining and a short life on the battery overall.;

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sarhaynes

I have a charger in my car and I've got the Boxwave charging stand at work.  It was more of an issue when you are travelling and going through airports when you do not have easy access to charging equipment that I've had issues.  That's why I've got the big "travel battery".  Sometime I forget to plug in when I'm at home for the weekend. 

Sean

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sarhaynes

Unfortunately it does not appear that 151 is available for d/l through Verizon.  Is there another way to get it??

Sean

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Here's the link...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9500-series-discussion-storm/196496-latest-9530-os-4-7-0-208...

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sarhaynes

All I have to say is Wow!  Why has Verizon not released this version yet?  If it has problems, then they are a lot more minor than not being to unlock my phone in 5 minutes and missing calls!

After installing 151, it's like I've got a new phone.  I can unlock the phone in seconds.  It has been 24 hours and my free memory is in the 15-20MB range instead of teh 0-5KB range!  The phone is fast and responsive!

The only issues I ran into in the upgrade (so far):

1) It downgraded my Docs2Go.  I had to reenter my registration key and download the latest version.  It is working fine now.

2) Facebook stopped working.  I had to reinstall the current version to get it to work properly.

I will post any other issues I encounter (if any).

Sean

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Excellent, glad that helped you.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
templejo
My Device: Not Specified

storm 2 wont turn on

Hi,

I bought the new Storm 2 roughly 2 weeks ago and its been working great so far. However, i went to bed last night with everything working perfectly and woke up with the phone off and not responding. I tried taking the battery out and replacing it again and also charging it, however, there is no response from the phone whatsoever. (not even the LED).

Any help would be appreciated??

Please use plain text.