Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: verizon

Storm keyboard broken

Help.  My Storm of 2 years has developed a horrible problem with multiple typing letters spaces and backspaces when creating SMS text messages.  It takes 15 minutes to send this message was last straw.  Be home soon. Please wait.  Please tell me there is a fix.  I dont want a new phone.  I did update the phone about 8 weeks ago.  This problem only started in the last 2 weeks.  Storm 9530.  44mb available.  What else do you need to know?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Storm keyboard broken

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, does the behavior continue? If not, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Otherwise, is there any chance that your BB got wet? If so, then

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time. Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Otherwise still, it might be a good idea to do a clean OS reload...and perhaps even try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Already did a clean OS load.  It only took about eleven hours to do but it finished. Only addon is Facebook.  As far as I know, the phone has never gotten wet.  ONE major thing I left out.  This problem only occurs after multiple uses.  If i dont use it for a day, no problems on first use.  The problem begins after text message 3 or  4 and gets worse the more i use it.  If i do a battery reboot the problem goes away and comes back after message 3 or 4 again.

Hall of Famer II

kbhemp wrote:

Already did a clean OS load.

Oh...well, that is news in this thread...along with:

kbhemp wrote:

ONE major thing I left out.  This problem only occurs after multiple uses.  If i dont use it for a day, no problems on first use.  The problem begins after text message 3 or  4 and gets worse the more i use it.  If i do a battery reboot the problem goes away and comes back after message 3 or 4 again.

All of that points to trying the tedious process I provided you above (the "bare bones" stuff). Given your specifics, it will likely take several weeks to actually carry that out to the fullest.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well I have a solution and don't know why it worked.  I took out the battery the sim card and the storage card and put them into another Storm that my roommate used to use.  I left the original storm out on the dashboard in 100 degree weather for the remainder of the day.  when I turned on the optional phone it turned on the phone but did not connect.  I dismantled the phone and reassembled the original phone and it works fine.  I am not confident the fix is permanent so I will go a couple days and confirm the fix worked.

Hall of Famer II

Ahhh...that is pointing then indeed to something physical. Hopefully you are lucky and this fix is indeed permanent.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

No it wasnt the fix.  I didnt see any errors because all my tests were 3-5 word texts.  As soon as i tried a long message it completely failed on word 11.  I decided before throwing the phone in the trash I would try to clean it.  I erased every file i could.  Then downgraded the OS with BDM and got it to boot with 4.7.  Upon first use it appeared fine until i tried a long message.  "This is a test to see if ttttttttttttttttthis ppphone                              workkkkkkkks"   I figured go ahead and try to update.  It took three tries and it loaded 5.0.328.  I tried the same message and all it would type is tttttttt and spaces and backspaces.  I lay my case in your hands and if there isnt a solution i am switching to Android.  Thanks in advance for your assistance and all you have done to help so far.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

Well, I've already given you a process to attempt, and I said it might take weeks to actually carry out...the "bare bones" loading process above. From what you've said, I cannot know that you have yet tried exactly that.

Keep in mind that, if it is something with the hardware, then no amount of software fixes can help...

Have you also done the business card trick? In some cases, cutting a business card to a size just smaller than the battery, and placing that between the battery and the cover (inside) has been known to help some situations with your device model.

Also do be aware that the 9530 had many problem...indeed, the entire Storm line of devices has been killed off...

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates