Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
igor05
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 520 non blackberry user
My Carrier: mts

Storm phone in 2013

I was a user of blackberry  storm and I was delighted with sure pass and a great typing and email options. But the storm 2 I can not find on blackberry main page know that storm 2 released 6 or 7 months before phone 4

I am reading specs for this phone ,compares and my main question is-does this phone is neglected in bb company and does this a good deal to buy in regard of bb support  for this phone in future"I am a great fan of his phone and I please someone from bb service for answer.

Thank you

Igor

Serbia

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Storm phone in 2013

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The entire Storm series of devices was declared "end-of-life" some time ago (at least 2 years I think, perhaps longer). None progressed beyond the OS version of 5.x.x.x...which ceased development some time back as well. I don't have any exact dates quickly available, but there are no "brand new" Storm series devices available anywhere, unless some reseller happens to have an original unopened box that has been sitting around for quite some time.

Since it has been EOL for some time, that is the reason there is no official information about it...all sales of such devices would be considered resale of "used" equipment, not brand new devices (unless that example I stated above happens to be true).

The Storm 2 was a fine device...nowhere near perfect, but it was fine (I still have one, as a "spare"). It was far surpassed in capability by the Torch 9850/9860 though, which is still current and can receive OS versions up into the 7.1.x.x range.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
igor05

Thank you very much for your answer.
I have 2 crucial questions,first is the built of this phone good,i i mean hard piece,an iis it useful.for emailing still?i have private phone,i need phone for job,and i like old fashion things.is this phone a good deal in those two aspects?
Looking forward for your answer
Igor
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh, "good" is such a complex question to answer. For it is a judgment, not an evaluation...and judgments are completely based on the individuals tolerance levels, specific requirements, specific desires, and ability to compromise on those things. So I cannot tell you if it is "good" for you...it was "fine" for me, but I cannot know if you will have the same judgment.

I can tell you that there is a flood of CDMA devices that are being resold in various parts of the world...and with tremendous support issues due to the nature and challenge of using CDMA devices on other carrier networks. It can often be done, but it is a challenge indeed, and never guaranteed. And, for the services you specify, it is required that the device have a functional data plan from your chosen provider...and if their network does not natively support the specific model number you desire to use, then you may have even greater challenges.

So, again, I cannot tell you if my "fine" experience will be "good" for you...only you can judge that.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
igor05

Thank you indeed for answer.But my first question wasn't about opinion but about evaluation of iron:smileyhappy:
Materials used in building the device ,to specific furthermore.
Looking forward for your answer
Igor
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh, sorry...I did not understand that from your earlier wording. But, this of course still remains an individual consideration. For example, if you intend to be excessively abusive of the device, then your requirements will be for stronger materials than one who is less abusive. So I will give you an evaluation of the materials rather than their suitability to any particular requirements.

Being metal, the back cover is stronger than others made of plastic materials. The screen, like all of this kind, is delicate -- a proper screen protector is highly advised IMHO. The method of data entry, being fully touch screen (though, on this model, with active "SureTouch" tactile feedback), requires getting used to, especially by those accustomed to physical keys or other methods of touch screen (e.g., no tactile feedback). Some report never being able to get used to these devices (hence, I think, their short lifespan in the market).

Now that I have a Z10, I can tell you that this touch screen interface is the best I have ever used on any device by any manufacturer. The Storm2, by contrast, is slower to use and nowhere near as excellent as the Z10.

I recall dropping this device more than once...though always indoors (as I recall) from my hip holster to carpet covered flooring, never to hard surfaces (e.g., concrete). While it may have more than once flew apart (only "by design" separations e.g., back cover pops off, battery pops out...never any other separations), it never failed to function again once I put the parts back together.

Again, YMMV...your own requirements and abuse patters will be different from mine.

I hope that helps you!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
igor05

Thank you very much for your answers it was very helpful for me.it was a great surprise for me that in allcompare review s the storm 2 is beter or tie with iphone 3 :smileyhappy:i am not iphone fan,only motorola and bb fan :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
igor05

I see you didn't comment on this compare example,but that is true,al over the net u have this comparison and it's always better or tie with iPhone 3?is that true?
Thanks
Igor
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sorry, I didn't see a need to respond, as I just don't have any use for such comparisons. Each person has a unique set of desires, needs, and tolerance levels. So comparison data is merely a method of gathering additional information...but the choice comes down to each individual. Each survey may well be "true" for the data set that it gathered...but each individual may or may not fit into that data set.

So, keep gathering your information and, when you feel you have enough information from which to make your choice, make it. But don't let anyone else tell you what is "right" for you...make your own decision.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.