Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Wei
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Storm's Screen/Backlight Comes on by Itself

Hi:

I'm having problems with my battery being drained because my screen/backlight randomly turns on by itself... any help?  It's very annoying when my battery goes dead when I'm not even using my phone!  HELP!! 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm

Re: Storm's Screen/Backlight Comes on by Itself

Do you have a holster with the magnetic "trigger" that puts the phone on "standby"?  That helps a lot...

The screen lights up pretty much anytime anything is received by the message systems or, sometimes even if there's a change in phone status, like from 1X to 1XEV or 1x to 1X, etc.   This does tend to drain the battery.

I've also found that "locking" the phone with the "hard button" at the top left side tends to keep it from "lighting up" spontaneously.

If I, or anyone else in these forums helps you, please click on the "Kudos" button in the post you found helpful. 

Wei
New Contributor

Thank you for your help and suggestions but nothing seems to help.  Today... the backlight has consistently turned itself on every 2 minutes (I timed it today).  At one point, it stayed on for nearly 30 minutes and wouldn't turn off.

I love my Storm but I'm pretty disappointed considering this is my 2nd BBStorm and tomorrow will be my third because I'm taking this one back as well.  I'm determined to have my perfect Storm... 

Super Contributor

I have found the same issue with mine and I only got it 6 days ago.

What can I do to stop this from happening?

Is this a bug or a setting issue?

What have you found is the culprit?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

I don't think this is the problem with battery drainage.  The backlight is actually a low current consumer compared to the processor and the radios.

Other things can contribute to this.  Programs that run all the time or are incorrectly written, leaving bluetooth on, incorrect provisioning of the phone / out of date PRL lists.

What carrier do you use?

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I'm actually in agreement with geoffrey here... it could even be a software problem.  I'd actually recommend reloading your operating system.  There are several threads on here which explain how to do this, but if you aren't comfortable, you could also take it to your carrier where they could do the reload for you.  I've install OSes before where it just killed the battery power because something clearly wasn't working correctly (sorry, I don't know what that something was).  I wiped the phone, reinstalled the OS and everything was perfect the second time around.

If you need assistance with this, just let us know and I'll find one of my previous sets of steps to link to.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

I was having the same trouble. About every 2 mins. the backlight would come on with no apparent reason. I'm not sure if what I did had anything to do with this problem but it started acting normal after I turned off my Storm, then pulled the battery for a couple of mins.. Hope this works for you....
Highlighted
Super Contributor

I took mine back and got a replacement, as a result.