Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
LarryG
My Device: Not Specified

Storm: trash it

BB storm: no help needed! Have trash can. RIM: HAS been successful. I WILL find a device that works....SO many probs; NEVER probs with some similars; CONTINUAL WITH (2ND) Storm.  Sick of all of it. Sorry about rant, but time is worth more than this junk has already cost me. Going to try Motorola (they, and Nokia, have always been non-problematic)......PLEASE advise others....(I WAS warned, via readers of net posts!/friends)...MY MISTAKE!
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jeff1974w
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

Re: Storm: trash it

since this is your first posting here on the forums, why dont you take a minute and tell us your problems.  there are alot of helpful people here who will try and help you out!!

give us a try before you "trash" your storm.

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LarryG

Unclear audibles (even own message); 'remove battery' syndrome/cold-soft boot DAILY (know to turn off daily for a while, etc); won't hold settings, such as vib-ring sequences.....you name it! (even the "Geek" squad couldn't help..except to brag that 'my time is up'..however, AMEX has assured me to 'whatever,' as well as insurer Verizon.....2nd phone...1st one: tried to 2 wks, same problems)....I'm a 'tech' instructor/researcher..'kinda know a few things, and never have experienced such a myriad of problems.. I was warned, via other BB folks that were 'holding off..too many 'bugs' they had read about..'..I just took a bad chance.  I realize someone, somewhere is having a good experience. Maybe Best Buy received some lemons. THANKS for general concern. AT&T is ONLY I-Phone carrier in VA Tech area, but doesn't have enough towers, oddly enough, but that's my 'turn'....even if poor reception areas, phone works.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jeff1974w

what OS are you running???   .75????

have you considered upgrading to one of the current beta's??

it has resolved alot of the issues you are having and should make you happier.

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LarryG

Being a month old, thought it was 'Beta OK'/timely..don't know .75 scenario...Explorer @home
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jeff1974w

well i really dont understand what you just said, but if your still on .75 and having problems i'd suggest upgrading to a beta.

.114 is the most current, some people say they are having problems with it and going back to .109.

if you want it just google either 4.7.0.114 or 4.7.0.109 and download it.

how to install:

1. download and install the beta OS to your computer.

2. open your PC's Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader and then delete the Vendor file, which is in XML format. If you don't delete the other vendor's file, the software won't be able to install the software on your carrier-locked device.

3. connect storm to computer

4. in the screen where you deleted the vendor.xml file, scroll to the top and you will see the loader file, double click and follow the onscreen directions!

if you dont like it, heres how to go back:

Step #1: Make sure your BlackBerry IS NOT connected to your computer. Locate and Open the App Loader application. You won't have a shortcut to this program on your start menu. You need to locate it manually. Open your file browser, go to your C Drive (operating system drive) and navigate your way through the folders to Program Files > Common Files >Research In Motion > AppLoader. Once you are in the AppLoader directory, double click on the Loader application shortcut. Once Loader opens, you can click Next and then proceed to Step #2. As you may have noticed, we skip Desktop Manager altogether.

Step #2: We need to connect the BlackBerry to the Computer via USB cable. But here's where the tricky part comes in with the Nuked BlackBerry. Do you see in the image above where it says COM1? What we want to do is plug in the BlackBerry, and when COM1 switches to say USB-PIN:UNKNOWN we immediately click Next. This catches the BlackBerry and takes it out of the constant reboot cycle and allows you to then reload the Operating System.

Tip: The USB-PIN:UNKNOWN option will display for a few seconds when the BlackBerry is first connected/flashing its LED in red. With a Nuked BlackBerry, That occurs when the device is in the initial start-up part of it's reboot sequence. The easiest way to get that to happen (vs. waiting for that step in the reboot sequence where you have a tenth of a second to hit Next before you lose your chance) is to simply pull the battery from the BlackBerry. With the battery pulled, connect the BlackBerry to the USB connector and as SOON as you see USB-PIN:UNKNOWN hit Next. You have to be quick still, but using this method you are in control of the timing. From there you can put the battery back in and battery cover back on (Make Sure you install the battery or else when the OS update is completing and the device disconnects from the computer to reboot, it will lose the power provided by the USB connection and you will get an error and have to do it all over again!).

** If you don't get it right the first time, try again (unplug from USB, pull battery, connect and hit Next while USB-PIN:Unknown is showing). You have to be fast and the timing is key, so it may take you three or four tries.

Step #3: With your BlackBerry now out of the permanent reboot sequence, you are essentially in the clear and well on your way to having your BlackBerry up and running again. Choose the options you want to install on your BlackBerry (BrickBreaker, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry Maps, etc.), click next, then approve the installation by clicking "Finish." Sit back and relax while the BlackBerry does its thing. It'll take some time and go through a number of screens but eventually you will reach my favorite "The loading operation was successful" screen. Your BlackBerry will reboot itself at this point and it will take a LONG time to reboot (10 - 15 minutes or so). You can unplug it from the USB (it's not connected while rebooting) and just continue to sit back and wait. Get scared, but not too scared...it will eventually boot up.

Step #4: That's it! You are done. Brand New BlackBerry. With your BlackBerry no longer Nuked, you can run through the Set Up Wizard (set the date/time/fonts, etc.) and from there you WILL NOW BE ABLE TO connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software. Hopefully you occasionally back up your data and can now use Desktop Manager's restore function to load up your backed up data. If not, hopefully you have your contacts all synced to Outlook so you can reload your Address book from there.

You can see these same steps at : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry

with pictures.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LarryG

Thanks; you've been timely, and informative.

Having just gotten it, I shouldn't have to do all you mentioned...I'm going to trash it...I'm serious..might be fun...charge $$ for folks to crush it, and give money to charity (my school).  I shouldn't have to 'rebuild' a one-monther...should've known better...but RIM needs to RECALL this stuff. I work fora couple of .com companies, and, with no malice intended, hope to raise awareness of such products.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jeff1974w

i agree with you to a point, and your feelings have been shared across this forum and others.  The betas are RIM built.  It is up to verizon to test and approve them and send them out as a update.

if .75 was the only OS available, i would have gotten rid of my storm a long time ago.  .85 came out shortly after i got my storm, and it was a major improvement, and everyone since has been a step in the right direction.

is the storm perfect NO!  is the iphone perfect NO!

is any phone perfect NO!

Before you get rid of it, just try one of the betas, and if you want to trash it, then do so!

good luck!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
LarryG

Thanks: I've had SEVERAL 'perfect' phones...no kiddin...never had to reboot, etc....not even one phone...always clear, etc....take care

( I just wanted to 'go' touch-screen, after I tried the Curve, and had similar problems)

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

The problems you've described are not the norm.  Have you attempted to go back to Verizon with the phone and explain the problems to them?  At least one or more of these problems could be a hardware issue and if you're not comfortable doing the above or don't believe you should (which is very fair), you can have them attempt to fix the problems themselves, or push for a replacement.  You should be aware that most phones don't have the problems you've described.  Another person I know with a Storm just finally did a battery pull with his Storm for the very first time since December (and this is with the original operating system).

Feel free to go back for assistance.  Once you've got everything working correctly, you just might learn to really like it!  :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.