Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Storm2 9550 PDF reader?

Hi All,

The Storm2 is my first Blackberry and so far so good. E-mail synced great, battery life has been much better than expected (followed advice to fully drain battery the first two times and then gave a full charge each time), organizer data transfer from outlook was nearly flawless (after disabling wireless sync for my gmail acct), the browser and camera/video have worked well, and typing, texting and phone functions have all worked without a problem after about a week's worth of use.

The only problem that I have run into is that the 5.0 OS and the browser lack the ability to view PDF documents, even when saved to memory. I see that there are a couple of apps designed to remedy this and there are also a number of strings with previous Blackberry versions discussing this topic. This leads to my questions: 

1. Does the Storm2 come with a default PDF reader that I just can't find  (as has been described for previous Blackberrys)?

2. If not what is the best app for this (allow for both browser PDF viewing and file PDF viewing?)

I appreciate the feedback and help.  Smiley Happy

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm2 9550 PDF reader?

After a little more fiddling, I can answer my own question number 1:

The browser and e-mail apps can open PDFs but they need to be small. I was able to open DC and NYC transit maps without issue, as well as some samurai suduku puzzles that were all under 400k.  From there I went to Pubmed central (database of NIH sponsored research articles) and looked at a bunch of image intense PDF files and everything loaded until I reached a file size of 2 MB.

The new problem is that not all of these documents could be effectively scaled. Both the transit maps were useless after zooming as they lost resolution (and I check on a PC and zoomed without issue up to 1000X). However, the research articles could all be scaled effectively (text and images).

My new question now is, can the 2 MB limit for file size be changed?

And then my second questions still stands for any one with input on apps for the Blackberry. What is the best app available for viewing saved PDF files (and does this app fix the loss of scale problem seen with the broswer)?

Thanks again..... 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9550

Re: Storm2 9550 PDF reader?

cknights wrote:

After a little more fiddling, I can answer my own question number 1:

The browser and e-mail apps can open PDFs but they need to be small. I was able to open DC and NYC transit maps without issue, as well as some samurai suduku puzzles that were all under 400k.  From there I went to Pubmed central (database of NIH sponsored research articles) and looked at a bunch of image intense PDF files and everything loaded until I reached a file size of 2 MB.

The new problem is that not all of these documents could be effectively scaled. Both the transit maps were useless after zooming as they lost resolution (and I check on a PC and zoomed without issue up to 1000X). However, the research articles could all be scaled effectively (text and images).

My new question now is, can the 2 MB limit for file size be changed?

And then my second questions still stands for any one with input on apps for the Blackberry. What is the best app available for viewing saved PDF files (and does this app fix the loss of scale problem seen with the broswer)?

Thanks again..... 

I use Documents To Go from Dataviz.  It includes Word, Excel, PPT and PDF.  It's a bit pricy, but if you want to view documents in native format (particularly if it's a document with redlining), it's the best.

You can find it throught BB App World.