Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
dawgs1236
My Device: Not Specified

Stuck in Safe Mode

I have the Verizon Storm (9500 i think?) and with in the past hour it's developed two serious flaws. First, the back button doesnt work. THat might not be the technical name for it, but in any case it's the third button from the left looks like an arrow, anyway it's stopped functioning. It still clicks and everything, just wont actually make the phone go back. I can get around this with menu button and scrolling down to "close" but that gets to be a hassle. Secondly, the thing seems to be stuck in Safe Mode. I clicked help the first time the dialog appeared and it said that i did this by holding the escape button while the red led light was on after a battery pull. I most certainly did not hold the escape button because for starters im not even sure which button this is and secondly i didn't touch the phone after i put the back piece back on. Then it said "click okay to stay in safe mode or click reset to exit safe mode" I clicked reset, the phone rebooted, and stayed in safe mode. Is there anyway to fix either of these or do i need to take it in? Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Stuck in Safe Mode

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

So you have had your device for an hour and you are petrified you did

something wrong?

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are right on time!! :smileyhappy:

Every person of any experience can tell you in vivid detail when it happened

to them!!

There has been a known big in the help software that causes the device to "freeze"

This will be a better lesson then any thing in help, learning the battery pull.

This will become a way of life, for minor Blackberry errors.

Do it just like I have it written, and then post pack. I'll wait on you

OK?  :smileywink:

Thanks,

Bifocals

No data will be lost when doing the following: pull the battery while the device is ON.
Replace after a minute, Let the device reboot 1-3 min, see if the problem is fixed.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02141&sliceId=2&docTy...

Message Edited by Bifocals on 02-17-2009 01:14 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dawgs1236

[ Edited ]
I've done the battery pull, about 5 times, and it changes nothing. Oh and something to add about the back button. The back button still doesnt function, but somehow my right convenience key has switched itself from the camera button to being the back button. Any ideas on this?
Message Edited by dawgs1236 on 02-17-2009 11:19 AM
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there! It sounds as if one of the hard buttons may be stuck in the pushed position...which might happen to be the same button for back as well as forcing it into the safe mode you are experiencing. If this is so, then you have a hardware problem that can only be fixed via hardware-level activities. If you are still under warrranty, I would recommend returning and replacing the unit.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
richiesullivan

[ Edited ]
I did a battery pull today due to my Storm running really slow.  When it booted back up it was in safe mode and the escape/return/back button no longer works.  Dawgs1236, what kind of solution did you have with this problem?  Has anyone else had this problem? 
Message Edited by richiesullivan on 03-15-2009 04:45 PM
Message Edited by richiesullivan on 03-15-2009 04:45 PM
Please use plain text.
coreyshurchin

did anyone find a solution???
Please use plain text.
coreyshurchin

did you find a solution
Please use plain text.
BooG690

I have this same problem.  Did anybody find a solution yet?  It just started today :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
richiesullivan

I accidentially found the solution for my phone stuck in safe mode..... I let the battery completely drain.  When I charged it the next day it was back to normal. 
Please use plain text.
vtsnowboarder
My Device: Storm 9950
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have the same issue.  Battery pull did not work.  Anyone find a solution?

Please use plain text.