Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-4, PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Topographic Maps: Storm GPS disabled by Verizon

I've not tried Blackstar, but, I am going to download it and give it a try.

Good luck, I hope you get your situation figured out to your satisfaction.

JPD217

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Oops .... I just did some more thinking. Are you sure that you can get your location from GoogleMaps when you are off the cell phone network? It just occurred to me ... GoogleMaps must need the cell phone network in order to download the actual map that contains your location. So if you have changed your location to a point that is not on the last-used map, it seems it would be impossible for it to show your location, unless it just gives latitude & longitude coordinates?

The thing that's suppose to be unique about TopoExplorer is this: When you purchase a map pack, all those maps reside on your phone's memory card. So when you're out of cell phone range, it's supposed to get your location from GPS, then open the appropriate stored map containing that location. At least that's how it is SUPPOSED to work -- but on my Storm under Verizon, TopoExplorer cannot get a GPS signal at all.

Anyway, I'm not aware if GoogleMaps has the ability to store maps in a cache to use offline. I'd guess that it can't do that.

I keep looking at the website for MotionX (for iPhone only) and drooling. They even show an iPhone mounted onto the handlebars of a mountain bike (my passion) running this app. It allows caching of maps to use when out of cellphone range. It normally costs a flat fee of $10, but is now on sale for $3. Come on, BlackBerry and Verizon, encourage the third-party developers to get something like this working on the Storm! I'm paying $40 per year for Trimble Outdoors, and it dies when it's out of cell phone range.

Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-4, PlayBook 64GB

Sorry, been gone for a couple days.

Yes, I'm sure. I get my location at home in the front yard within 3 meters with the radio shut down. When I try it at work it puts my location where I am at work within the same 3 meters. My work is about 5 miles from where I live. Still have not tried it out in the boonies though.

Also, I just installed the compass from these guys, http://www.blueinc.ca/ it is a fairly simple app, doesn't do too much, but it does give me a lat and long using only the device GPS on my Storm.

JPD217

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Your Mobile Connection option has to be enabled for Google Maps to work. The app uses GPS to pinpoint your location, but it uses the data network in order to retrieve the actual map data. Hopefully in future releases, Google Maps will cache the map image data to Device Memory or the SD card. It gets a little painful having to wait for the maps itself to load.

I've had the blue dot accurate to 10 meters with an all gray map because of the shoddy data reception I was getting at that time :smileywink: 

New Contributor

I use TrekBuddy on my BB storm.

As far as I can tell the GPS is not locked down.  But i was going up and down Mt. Slide today in NY and the program only could read the GPS when the network was active.  As soon ad the phone lost the network the GPS quit working too.

Trekbuddy uses maps that are pre-downloaded so it doesn't need the network at all.  But the tracking lost GPS as soon as the network lost connection (below about 3000 feet).

New Contributor

Topographical Survey is the study of Earth's surface shape and features.Topographic Survey is used to determine the position of any feature or more generally any point in terms of both a horizontal Coordinate system such as latitude and longitude, and altitude. Identifying (naming) features and recognizing typical landform patterns are also part of the field.
For more details about topographical survey, visit the following below link.

Explorer Consultancy provides topographic surveys by using different methods which includes:

1. Direct Survey: Surveying helps determine accurately the terrestrial or three-dimensional space position of points and    the distances and angles between them using leveling instruments.

2. Remote Sensing: Remote Sensing is used for geodata collection at a distance from the subject area.

3. Photogrammetry: Photogrammetry is a measurement technique for which the co-ordinates of the points in 3D of an object are determined by the measurements made in two photographic images (or more) taken starting from different positions.

For more information about topographic survey and hydrographical survey please log on to below link:

http://xploreronline.com/Projects-Area-TOPOGRAPHIC,HYDROGRAPHIC-SURVEY-AND-GIS-MPR-5-.aspx

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon

All my 3rd party apps that require GPS work beautifully with my Verizon networked 9530.

I geocache and have programs for that.  One of the programs has an option for using maps to assist in locating a cache.  Topo Maps is one of the options and it works in so far as there is no lock imposed by Verizon only by my wallet.  Topo map applications for the Blackberry are generally not free and only available in various "packs" at a cost I am not willing to pay.

The Storm GPS is not disabled in any way by Verizon.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: 8310 Curve

Hi All,

I came across this thread and saw that some of you are experiencing some problems with our software, Trimble Outdoors, and thought this information may help:

When you exit the carrier’s network you are unable to get “maps on the go” - retrieving maps this way requires the ability to exchange data over the carrier’s network.  However, you are able to preplan your trip and send mapping images to the device through our Adventure Planner PC software – the maps are saved and are available when you exit the network. As soon as you are within the coordinates of the saved map image it will automatically appear, otherwise the app will present a blank screen. Sometimes zooming in and out can help show the map tile - if the zoom is not at the same level as the stored map, it may not show.

I hope this helps some of you understand how our application works, please let me know if you have any questions :smileyhappy: We are always looking for ways to improve our products so we thank you for your feedback.

Michelle

Trimble Outdoors

New Contributor

Michelle,

Thanks for the reply. I spent probably a hundred hours on this problem and finally gave up early last summer. Trimble Outdoors worked great for me as long as I was in a strong reception area for Verizon. I uploaded several maps using Adventure Planner, and those maps showed up fine on my BlackBerry Storm ... as long as I was in cell phone range. But when I got out of Verizon's coverage area, and tried to use the Adventure Planner maps in areas that I knew were part of the maps, it failed to load them and show my location. Many times, Trimble Outdoors would give me a message asking me to register the product, as if I had never used it before. Of course, at that point I could not "re-register" because I was out of Verizon's cell phone coverage range.

So here are my questions:

1) Do you know if your product has been revised since early last summer in a way that would possibly improve the behavior I described above? My current version is 3.2.4.

2) Is there a way for me to test the out-of-coverage area behavior? I was thinking of a sequence something like this: Use Adventure Planner to upload a map containing my house near Seattle. Then use the Storm's "Manage Connections" app to  turn off the Mobile Network. Then try to use Trimble Outdoors to access the uploaded map, and see if the Storm's GPS functioned to show me my location on that map? This sequence did not work last summer (but might now - I'll try again). Any further details on this sequence would be much appreciated.

3) Do you know if the out-of-coverage map access that you described has actually been tested on a Storm using the Verizon network? Last summer a high-level Verizon tech support person specifically told me that Verizon disabled GPS support for many or most 3rd-party apps, and that might explain why I couldn't use Trimble Outdoors when I was out-of-coverage.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Also, is there a w

New Contributor

Re: Topographic Maps: Storm GPS disabled by Verizon - IT WORKS NOW!!

I am very pleased to say ... it works now!! Up until the time I gave up about 6 months ago, the maps I had loaded into the phone from Adventure Planner were not accessible from Trimble Outdoors whenever I got outside of Verizon's cell coverage area.  But, in the past 3 days, I have tested it several times, and it seems to be working now! Even with the cell phone network disabled, Trimble Outdoors is now able to see the maps and to pinpoint my location with the Storm's GPS capability.

I'm not sure what's different now, but I suspect that sometime in the past 6 months, Verizon worked it out with some of the 3rd party application developers, and is now enabling the GPS signal to work properly with those apps.

Hooray!! I can now give my full-hearted recommendation for Trimble Outdoors on the BlackBerry Storm under Verizon. Plus, the Trimble support person told me over the phone that the BlackBerry AppStore now offers the Trimble service for a one-time fee of $20, instead of the $40 annual fee I have been paying. Nice, happy ending to a year-long quest.