Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
bnburden
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to Install Desktop Manager Software to my Computer for my BB storm

Hello,

I am sorry if this has already been posted but I couldn't find one that was directly connected with my problem.  I have a PC with Windows Vista 2007.  I just recently got my blackberry storm and every time I try to install the Desktop Manager Software on my laptop it pops up with an error window saying it can't not read the information or something a long those lines?  What can I do to get this software on my computer?  Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Unable to Install Desktop Manager Software to my Computer for my BB storm

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

While the exact error message is important to truly diagnosing what went wrong, we have seen some of this in the past. What has happened is that the media containing the software was somehow damaged or otherwise is missing some stuff it needs. The best thing to do is to use this link to obtain the latest Desktop Software for your use.

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=al5tDBlnhYUddDf95fTY1g**

If, for some reason, the link does not work, use the "Software" Tab at the top of the page and navigate to the Desktop Software download.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
bnburden
My Device: Not Specified

Thank you for your response. The error window reads; "the system cannot read from the specified device."  I have tried the software tab on this website but when I get into the downloading a software I am unsure what product to choose from.  I have a blackberry storm through verizon wireless.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

If you only want english language, then the only choice you need to make is to include or not include media manager. Then select one of these 2:

Desktop Manager 4.7.0 B50 English - Without Media Manager

• File name: 470_b050_english_nomediamanager.exe
  • File size: 81.1052 MB
  • Date posted: 17-Nov-08
Desktop Manager 4.7.0 B50 English - With Media Manager

• File name: 470_b050_english.exe
  • File size: 216.594 MB
  • Date posted: 17-Nov-08

If, on the other hand, you need a different language, then you need to use the Multi-Language version (at the top), again choosing Media Manager or not.

You also might want to first install the USB drivers -- they are the first selection on the drop down list that also included DM 4.7 (you do want that version...the latest).

Sorry...I was just about to put in more links for you and the BB site is being cantankerous to me right now...so I can't get the links.

Best!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 04-13-2009 06:01 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code