Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

Re: Unlock Verizon

SIM stands for "Subscriber Identity Module".   All GSM phones require one to receive a call or to place a call other than for an emergency.   It describes a subscriber (who has paid for the service) so that the carrier knows that it is communicating with a legitimate bill paying person.

No, without the SIM, you get nothing because you are not paying.

It is possible to get a hacked SIM, but that is basically identity theft.

One can purchase a SIM with some limited number of minutes on it.  This is what I do when I travel as it gives me a local number.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

soxfan wrote:

Xandrex wrote: 

With a device unlocked, you get the signal of the carrier of your SIM card. If you use an ATT card, you get the signal of the ATT carrier that is compatible with the Storm (EDGE is the max). If you use a Vodafone UK SIM card, you can get the 3G with your Storm.
So, unless I have a SIM card from another carrier, this doesn't do anything for me? I was hoping it meant I'd get a signal from any available carrier so I'd never be in a weak zone...oh well. 

what you want is called domestic roaming.

regular roaming : when you are in another country, and keep your SIM card, you can use the local carriers that have a roaming contract with your carrier. The local carrier charges your carrier for that "bandwidth rent", and your carrier charges your back. Price is nearly 30 times the local price (meaning : either you are rich and don't care, or you buy a local SIM card for the duration of your trip).

example of roaming contrats :
  • Vodafone UK -> Vodafone DE
  • Orange France -> Orange UK
  • Bouygues Telecom -> AT&T

domestic roaming : it's like AT&T having a bad data coverage in some place, and letting you roam through T-Mobile's good coverage. I do not know if that applies in the US. That does happen in France where some very far countryside locations have bad network coverage (in France there are only 3 mobile phone carriers, all using GSM/3G so it's easy to switch). Those places are called "white zones".

just an indication to drive you crazy :
when on your device you have no coverage, but have the red SOS sign, it means... a carrier that is not yours has good coverage.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Does any one know if you can use your Verizon and ATT numbers together at the same time with the Storm?  I have two phones right now (one bussines and one personal) and this would be a very big selling point if I can combine these two numbers into one cell phone.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

you can't.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted

If I get a Blackberry Curve 8900 from a friend of mine, who 'unlocked' it, can I use it for Verizon? He bought it through TMobile but ended up getting a company phone so he is selling it to me, basically brand new, for cheap. But I tried to see online if it was compatible because I have verizon service, which doesn't have the "SIM" cards... help! 
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

lauraf77 wrote:
If I get a Blackberry Curve 8900 from a friend of mine, who 'unlocked' it, can I use it for Verizon? He bought it through TMobile but ended up getting a company phone so he is selling it to me, basically brand new, for cheap. But I tried to see online if it was compatible because I have verizon service, which doesn't have the "SIM" cards... help! 

Hi! FYI -- this is the Storm board...there is a separate board for the Curve. Plus, your question is probably better directed to your carrier... Just a thought.

CheerS1

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

If I am right, T-Mobile has  SIM card based phones which is contrary to Verizon (doesn't support SIM Cards). So, ur Curve doesn't work on Verizon.
New Contributor

good day!

my mom bought a verizon bl;ackberry storm 9530. i tried calling the number several time here from the philippines. it didnt worked out with the representatives w/ verizon.

i got the unit only with any plan or whatsoever.

can you help me with the codes please to unlock it.

A000000D101D63

HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME PLEASE.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

If Verizon was unwilling to help, try contacting this company: Horizon Wireless Online (http://horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/).  They can unlock the phone for you.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

vga
New Contributor

I have a storm and will call the 800 number to get it unlocked.

I want to keep Verizon as long as I am in the US and intend staying that way for a very long time. When I travel abroad (India) I intend buying a blackberry plan sim card there. My last trip, Verizon charged me about $1.5 per minute, so I landed up with a $200 bill for long distance alone. My office in India has offered to get me a local blackberry plan.

so... here are my Q's

1> Do I have to do anything to turn off Verizon service on my storm while I am in India? and to use the local blackberry SIM provider? or is it automatic when I plug in the local SIM card? Last thing I want is a nasty bill when I get back

2> I have several apps and email that I use here in the US. When I am abroad, will the email etc stop working?

The blackberry plan that I will get in India will be with unlimited data plan + tethering (that way I dont have to worry about internet om my laptop).

Any other handy tips from others who have already done what I am asking?

Any tips on what needs to be done??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks