Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Unrecognized notification icon appeared on home page...

My first post but I attempted to find this answer in several ways and had no luck.

My storm recently showed a new notification icon that I don't recognize and can't find in the manual or on-line.

This new icon looks liks a circle with an error inside. It has a number next to it like other notification icons showing the number of items that apparently are new.... But I don't know where the notice wants me to look...

Thank you,

Bill

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Unrecognized notification icon appeared on home page...

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Inside of the circle -- "error" or arrow?

If "arrow", then this is probably the notification from AppWorld that one of your apps has an update available. Log into AppWorld and browse through all of your apps in MyWorld...find the one(s) needing an update and do the update.

Next, go to Messages -- BBKey > View Folders...look through them all for messages from AppWorld...read and/or delete them and the icon will then go away.

If "error" inside of that circle...well, I've no idea...

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I appreciate the quick response. Sorry, it is an arrow, not sure how I manage to put in "error"

I went into AppWorld, I did the update(s) and the icon is still thre with a "2"

I also looked for Messages by going to the BBkey but found no View Folders. There is a sign in option. I have never signed into AppWorld on my phone and do not know the password requested. Do you think I need to sign in to see the "view folders" option and see my messages?

How do I get a password? Do i need to register with AppWorld online? I alread am able to download items from AppWorld on my phone without signing in...

Thanks

Hall of Famer II

Sorry -- the Messages I refer to is the main Messages app on the BB...nothing to do with AppWorld at all (well, except for being the recipient location of this errant message from AppWorld). Exit AppWorld completely. Then, from your homescreen, select Messages. Then BBKey and View Folders...search all of those (a list might be handy...there are many folders to go through).

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

thanks again for your help. that symbol really does appear to be for AppWorld updates and even though I managed the updates the notification is still showing on my phone.

I also took the additional steps of reviewing all of my folders (that wasn't fun) and had no new or unread messages.

I have removed the battery and did a hard re-start to see if that might force an update to my notifications...

No luck. Still have that darned notification showing 2 messages/updates or whatever pending...

Hall of Famer II

Hmmm...somewhere in these forums, I recall someone saying just how to get these messages to show in Messages...since I have yet to receive this notification from AppWorld, I have not direct experience...and neglected to bookmark the solution message. But I do know that it was somewhere within Messages...somewhere...maybe some setting (in the options) to show some hidden messages of some kind...I just can't recall...sorry...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well, fortunately this problem is just a bit of an annoyance and not a real functional problem.

thanks for your help.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8320 / 9530

try looking for your SMS icon and seeif you have any unread message there
New Contributor

I wanted to let folks know that the answeer to the question I posed was mostly answered by a poster suggesting I check AppWorld for updates. even though I managed the items needing to be updated in AppWorld the icon didn't change. I spoke to a Verizon rep by phone who experienced this exact issue. She had me go into the "messages" folder and locate the messge in there that corresponded to the updates I had done in AppWorld. Once I opened those messages the notification icon cleared. I don't think you shouild have to go to two locations to deal with an upgrade but that is what cleared the message. I imagine that I could have cleared the notification icon solely by going into the "messages" folder and opening the related messages.

Thanks to all who offered help.