Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Unsupported Format Video Error

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone.

While playing around with my phone, i found my video recorder and decided to test it. For about 20 seconds, i recorded me waliking around the house.

The problem arose when i went to play it. I clicked the play button and got the message: "The media being played is of an unsupported format." In addition a small red box in the upper right hand corner says "Error Playing"

If anyone could help resolving this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Zach

Message Edited by Zach on 01-04-2009 01:42 PM

Re: Unsupported Format Video Error

This si some bullI recorded an important video like I always do with my Storm and I am getting the same error I need this video someone let me know what is going on with the Storm.....
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

What carrier are you on and what operating system is installed on your Storm?  You can find the OS information by going to Options > About.  The OS number is listed after the v (e.g. v4.7.0.75).

It's possible that your phone may simply need an upgrade. 

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

So? Where is the official solution? If you need more information, I can provide. But I'm quite astonished that I googled this problem and got no solution. Even free systems like ubuntu has at least a official answer to the problems, at least to say 'acknowledge' and 'please wait'.
New Contributor

Ok, after reading othe questions and how to solve some problems, I tried to remove the cover and battery, while the blackberry was ON, wait 1 minute, reinstall the battery and wait the boot process (~5min).
After that, my bb could record and play moves again, but the old ones recorded before still give the 'unsupported video format' and do not play. I assume they are corrupted. I wish I could recover them. Thanks!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

beco wrote:
Ok, after reading othe questions and how to solve some problems, I tried to remove the cover and battery, while the blackberry was ON, wait 1 minute, reinstall the battery and wait the boot process (~5min).
After that, my bb could record and play moves again, but the old ones recorded before still give the 'unsupported video format' and do not play. I assume they are corrupted. I wish I could recover them. Thanks!

use a USB reader or plug your deviceto a UMS enabled computer, browse the files on the media card and remove all the files named BBThumbs.dat . There should be one in every folder containing a media file. You may need to enable your file explorer to view hidden & system files.

By doing so you will destroy the media cache of the Media application on the BlackBerry, and it will automatically re-create it the first time you launch it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks Xandrex, I'll try that as soon as I get to a computer and post the results here.

Hey guys I have the Bold 9700 and have just updated it to v6.0.0.448 yesterday... My friend sent me some videos through BBM and they worked fine... But today when he sent me some new videos and they do not open at all. I get an error that says: " the media file is of an unsupported format"... I tried removing the battery and it still doesn't work... Any idea on what to do or whom to contact? Thanks
New Contributor

I'm sorry to tell that I lost my videos. I'm just giving the feedback that I was in debt. Thanks anyway for the help.
Contributor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile

It might be kind of late, but i ran into this problem tody as well. To fix it, i went to the memory card screen, clicked the menu button and clicked 'safely remove media card'. I took it out, waited a few seconds, put it back in, and all my videos were working again.

Hope this helps.