12-25-2011 12:46 PM - edited 12-25-2011 04:17 PM
See the second post in this thread for the solution (thanks to forum member wiggler)
[I know I'm a dork for even bringing this up, but let's just get beyond that part, and talk about what I really want to know here ]
My wife and I have moved on to an Android (Bionic) for me and an iPhone (4s) for her. However, her old phone (Storm 2) was replaced just recently because her old Storm 1 went bad on her....and now, since my Dad was thinking about finally getting something to replace his ancient (not to mention, broken and unusable) Palm device, we figured we might as well give him the Storm 2 and see if that will work out for what he wants.
Here's the deal about my Dad and his PDA.....he does already have a mobile phone as well, but does not want to move up to a smart phone, because he doesn't want to pay the extra money each month just to have a phone-PDA when he'll most likely never really use the data service much and all that.
He wants a phone just to be a phone, and he also wants a PDA...just for the PDA part.
So, I figured, fine....if he's not willing to move completely into the modern era, then we can at least give him something that he can sync with Outlook (it works...I've already tried it) to have his calendar and contacts with him all the time (which he's not able to do with his simple mobile phone).
So, what I know is that this is possible, at least in a very limited sense.....I have the Storm 2 syncing with Outlook.
However, here's my problem.....for some reason, even though the wifi adapter appears to connect to the wifi access point here at their house, it doesn't actually get an IP address and can't get out on the internet with the built-in browser at all.
My question is this....
Is that because it's not possible (i.e. RIM has it configured in such a way to disable the wifi adapter within the device while there is not mobile phone service connected), or should that work, and I should be looking more along the lines of something wrong at the home network level?
The reason I'm even considering that it could be something goofy like that within the device itself is that both my new Android and wife's iPhone are able to connect to the home wireless network here just fine.
Sorr for such a long, goofy thing to need help with, but I figured this is a good place to start. If anyone has ideas and is willing to help, please chime in.
p.s. I'm an IT guy. So, I have that aspect covered....at least you're not working with a complete **bleep** if you jump in here.
Solved! Go to Solution.
12-25-2011 04:14 PM
I figured it out. I did a google search for the specific message that I was seeing in the 'wi-fi tools' (which was "ip address no longer valid"), and found this thread...
The second post in there (from wiggler), gave me the fix I needed.