Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

RayDay
My Device: Not Specified

Verizon Storm - How get GPS without buying VZ Navigator?

Hi all,

I just got a Verizon Storm - and did NOT get the "VZ Navigator" GPS feature due to cost/month.

BlackBerry has a "maps/GPS" feature, I'm told. How can I get the blackBerry maps feature (free?) without paying Verizon extra for something that's basic to Blackberrys? Or is it killed by Verizon so they can charge for it?

Thanks,

Ray

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)

Re: Verizon Storm - How get GPS without buying VZ Navigator?

I'm pretty sure Blackberry Maps came pre-installed and you can also download Google Maps.  But, you should note that while BlackBerry/Google Maps can locate you by GPS and you can get directions to a location they do NOT give you audible turn-by-turn directions that update as you make your way to your destination.  VZnav is great for that because if you miss a turn, it will re-calculate and re-route your trip based on your new location automatically and you don't even have to look down at it to track where you are.   

BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps directions are nothing more than an mobile version of what you'd get using any popular mapping/directions site.  It'll print a turn-by-turn list, but it's up to you to read, interpret and follow them.  With VZnav you also get real-time traffic warnings and can even have it detour around congestion, incidents, distances, and roads if a detour is possible.  

For me, VZnav is well worth the $10/month.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
cortecds
My Device: Not Specified

On BB Maps it is nice because you can switch to map view and it has some arrows at the bottom where you can advance it to the next turn.
So as you are going along you just keep hitting the arrow and it still guides you.
But you are right it is not as nice as my GPS in my car where it says stuff like "Left turn in 1/4 mile"..."Next Left Turn".
etc.
But I used BB Maps with the map view to find something while using my other car without the GPS that was built in.
Googgle will get you to within a mile or two.  But BB Maps will pin point you to within a few meters.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi RayDay,

You missed this thread, Garmin has a application for the Storm.

$90.00, but better than $10 a month from Verizon. Free trial.

Turn by turn directions.

Sure hope I've been good for Valentines Day....Unless she just WANTS me to get lost! :smileywink:

Bifocals

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&thread.id=9528&view=by_date_asce...
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MCrob
My Device: Storm 9530

Try this one out it enabled my GPS that was shut down by my provider.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/General-BlackBerry-Smartphone/GPS-and-SaskTel/td-p/486954
Please use plain text.