Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Video camera fail

I'm seeking help addressing a video camera problem.  When I first bought the device last November (using .65, then .75 when it came out), the camera would work about half the time.  The other half, it would freeze up and require a battery pull.  When it didn't freeze, the video played back fine.

Sometime around February, it started refusing to play back, saying that the format was unsupported (for videos taken with the storm and saved on my memory card), and it's been like that since.  Last week, I upgraded to .132 (from .75).  Now, instead of refusing to play back, it will record, but playback is extremely choppy, and frequently pauses with a nondescript error message ("An error has occurred attempting to play media").  Finally, today, while trying to change various settings (I tried to turn encryption of media files off as some have suggested on other forums, but my BES settings won't let me - I then tried turning off compression, but it didn't help), somehow all my previously taken videos disappeared.  The first video I tried to take after that is now listed twice, and refuses to play or delete.  I can take additional video, but it's still choppy on playback, and still crashes every few seconds with the error message ("An error has occurred attempting to play media").  I'd hoped that .132 would clear this up, but maybe it's not a problem with the OS, but a hardware problem?  Any help appreciated.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Video camera fail

It may be a hardware issue, but try going back to .75 first to see if there is any difference.  At the very least, it gives you more info for troubleshooting if/when you go back to Verizon.

Note that some OSes did experience bugs when recording video.  I didn't record any video on my phone with .132, but everything seemed to work fine with my carrier's official release, 4.7.0.122.  You could also try installing .122 from Telus or Bell (in Canada, assuming you do indeed have the Verizon 9530) to see if that helps as well (again, another troubleshooting step) :smileywink:.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!