Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
azguyphx
My Device: Not Specified

Whats the point of the app memory?

Does anyone know why they only allow 128 mgb for the app memory? Ive read this forum with all the complaints, and I must say, I love this phone, minus one thing. It will hold few apps. The newer apps coming out are bigger and bigger. I've erased every non pertinent app on my phone to run the ones I need and there is no room left for anything else. I've even used memory up programs to help. Is there a program out there that will allow apps to be put on the micro disk? Or am i just wanting to much to soon from a blackberry? I had an iphone, had tons of apps, but could only run one at a time, hence going to a blackberry. Now I have the blackberry, and can run several apps at a time, but the phone will not accomodate the apps. Getting a bit frustrated. My 30 days are almost up, have already paid my disconnect fee to At&T. I hear the new storm will have more ram, but it will be out after my 30 days. Feeling a bit uncomfortable right now. Can an OS update fix this in the future?

Thanks

Brian

New Contributor
TED1735

Re: Whats the point of the app memory?

Not sure what kind of apps or how many you are wanting to put on your phone. But I am a new user as well and have not found a whole lot of usefull free or cheap apps to clog up the memory on my phone. I usually have about 40 mb of memory to install apps on that is at least 40 apps on average. RIM may allow us to run apps from Media card in the future we can only hope. Seems like just a directory link would do the trip. I assume the speed of the Media Card and the BB internal memory should be pretty much the same.
New Contributor
azguyphx

Thanks Ted. I usually have about 40 mgb listed under the options/memory tab. I was told by the Verizon person that I needed to keep that memory number around 40 to keep the phone running smoothly. Thats why I delete things out to make sure it stays there. You sound like you know more than I do. Is the application memory not the same as the ram memory? So I could actually put more in there and not affect the ram, if not run at the same time? Im running the todo matrix suite, Vlingo, Google Maps, Poynt, Facebook, Ubertwitter, Pandora, and blackberry apps. They total about 8 mgb.

Brian

New Contributor
TED1735

Re: What's the point of the app memory?

Per the BB Manual you only need I think its 800k of free memory to keep things running smooth. I would just keep about 5-10mb free and do a daily Battery Pull or get QuickPull from the BB App store to keep things running smooth. So please enjoy your device and put things you like and are useful. If you don't like it or don't need it get rid of it. Hope that helps. There are so many "optimization" lessons and links online to follow. Just go to google and type BB optimize or memory save and you will have more than enough to get you going.
Regular Contributor
Pauliwood
My Device: Storm 9530

Aerize has a card loader app in BB World, however it did not seem to work well for me, a lot of my apps didn't work well, and it seemed to have hijacked my phone, as it took some work to delete the 7 day trial off my phone after 3 hours of trying it and realizing it was not for me.
New Contributor
TED1735

I also used Aerize card loader and found it useless. I was under the impression that it allowed programs to run from the media card. All it does is allow you to load them onto the media card for loading at a later time. Not usefull in any form for me.