Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone

Where is the MEID on EURO BB's???

I purchased a BB Storm in Spain through Vodafone in Jan 09. After closing my account with them, I moved to Nyc & unlocked my phone. Now I'm looking to sign up with Verizon Wireless which is a subsidary of Vodafone. But they can't open and activate an account with me because my BB does not have an MEID. Where the he** is the MEID on this phone (please don't tell me it's in the back of the phone or on the battery etc... been there done that), and if there isn't an MEID, then what is the reason for not having an MEID on European (and possibly other regions) Blackberries? No one at Verizon Wireless and Vodafone knows where the MEID... hopefully someone here does. Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Where is the MEID on EURO BB's???

hello,

there are two kinds of mobile phones on the market.

• CDMA for US and Canada, and GSM for the rest of the world.
  • CDMA devices are sold only in the US & Canada.

for each mobile phone, there is a unique identifier that cannot be changed:

• for GSM devices, it is the IMEI.
  • for CDMA devices, it used to be ESN, but they have reached the limit and the ESN numbering has been replaced by the MEID numbering. That is the reason why for example there is a Curve 8330 (using ESN) and a Curve 8330m (using MEID).

Vodafone and all local subsidiaries only sell GSM devices, so those devices have an IMEI but no ESN/MEID.

the IMEI is written under the battery, and you can also view it on your screen :

Home screen >> options >> status >> IMEI

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: