Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

anshul045
My Device: Not Specified

Why Blackberry Storm is without WiFi

Blackberry Storm is a very good product in almost every means. But what is the reason that WiFi, today being one of the basic requirements in business phones, is not included in this excillent device?

Anyways Iwould recommend the company to come up with an upgraded version of Storm with WiFi added to it.

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Why Blackberry Storm is without WiFi

[ Edited ]

Which Storm are you referring to?  The 9530 has no wifi because it has both a CDMA and GSM module in it, meaning that it simply doesn't have the space.  As to the 9500, I don't know the actual reason, but I have a feeling it's so that it followed in line with the 9530.

As they say, you win some, you lose some.  You have to pick which features are most important for you when selecting your BlackBerry device.

Oh, and by the way, if speculation and apparent confirmations have anything to say about it, RIM may already be ahead of you on your upgraded version.  And if it actually comes, there was talk of a 9520 Storm with Wifi.  It seemed like a done deal, but I haven't heard much on it in a little while.  Note, until RIM and various carriers confirm it, this is all speculation.

Message Edited by Krypto on 04-08-2009 10:44 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
z0phi3l
My Device: 9530 Storm

Rumor has it that a RIM employee let out this little tidbit, late this year, early next the next Storm will have WiFi "among many other" updates
Forums Advisor I
kentonvannatten
My Device: Storm2 (9550)

anshul045 wrote:  (on 4/9/09)

Anyways Iwould recommend the company to come up with an upgraded version of Storm with WiFi added to it.

When on 4/8/09 - this article was printed http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10215106-94.html

Day late, dollar short? 

I wish they would create a phone that had a touch screen.  That would be a great feature.  

Contributor
rosinbag
My Device: Not Specified

Can someone explain to me why WIFI would be needed since the Blackberry connects to the internet as it is set already? 
Michael
New Contributor
Terrell
My Device: Storm

WIFI lets you use a wireless network other than the phones, and its usually a lot faster. It also helps in you in a building and have a week signal.  I know my old HTC on my home network loads up a lot faster than my storm.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Terrell is correct.

Many people confuse WiFi with wireless.  It's not the same thing.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Of course in order to use WiFi, you have to be able to connect to a network, so this is fine at home, at school and at work, but when you're out and about, most hotspots require you to pay to access their wireless networks.  So, yeah, WiFi might be nice for the speed factor, but it's not going to keep you connected when you don't have access to such a network.  And realistically, the Storm's browser is going to be miles faster with the next official OS, so with a 3G connection, it isn't even needed, IMO.

(Of course, I'm heading down to the US soon from Canada, and in this case, it would be nice to have WiFi as data roaming is $8/MB).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

The WiFi speeds are much faster than 3G.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

JSanders wrote:
The WiFi speeds are much faster than 3G.
I'd just like to add that this is true with some devices like the Bold, but not all devices. For example, the Curve 8320's browser using Wi-Fi is not faster than the 8310's browser using EDGE because the limiting factor is the browser rendering engine and not the speed of getting data over the internet. There are videos on Youtube that point that out.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: