Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

My Device: Not Specified

Why does it turn itself off!!!!

I have had my blackberry for about three weeks.  It sucks.  I have to charge it nearly everyday.  It seems the battery runs down just after some texting and some phone calls.  But the most annoying thing is, it turns itself off!  It is incredibly frustrating, I don't know what its doing.  Can anyone help? 
New Contributor

Re: Why does it turn itself off!!!!

The fact your Blackberry's battery is draining quickly is a bit concerning but it all depends on how long you are using the phone during the day.  Another way you can save battery life is by changing the time it takes for the screen backlight to go out.  Go into Options, the click Screen/Keyboard and then change the backlight timeout.  With regard to why your BB is automatically turning off, the only thing I can think of is that the Auto On/Off (located in Options folder) feature is set to on.  Ironically though, if set correctly your BB can be set to turn on and off at designated times which will undoubtedly save your battery life tremedously.  Hope this helps...if so, feel free to send some kudos
Contributor

Mine does the exact same thing .... just sitting there and it just reboots itself ... the thing has a mind of its own. Regarding the battery life ... yeah it sucks too! I have turned off most of the functionality so that the battery lasts. This thing is a real engineering marvel ... Blackberry and Verizon should be happy with themselves while they are sitting back counting all the money they've stolen from anyone who purchased on of these things. I also have the problem that I can't do an automated backup ... it bombs on "lacation based services". What a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBFrustrated

Contributor
My Device: 9530 Storm

I love these types of complaints, YES you have to actually charge the phone daily if you use it for anything more than phone calls, if you had read the manuals it says that standy time is XX ammount and that you will get XX hours PHONE use
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

I've had two reboots today that I know of (within an hour of each other), both times I got a ding that an email had come in, I press the screen to see what it was and nothing happens.... then press the ESC key, nothing... then I see the solid red LED and it starts to reboot. 

What does that mean, you love these types of complaints?!  Do you sit and wait for them? Smiley Happy No seriously, I did read manual, it just shocked me that it would drain so quickly.  It's not so much the battery that bothers me.  I just want to know why it keeps turning itself off.  It is so weird and very annoying.  I don't have it on Auto/on/off or anything like that.  Do you think it's faulty?

Is this also happening with anyone else?

Yes, I have the BB 9500 Storm, and it turns itself off, randomly, about three to four times a day.

Can someone please help?

Regular Contributor

Hi Lawall,

I know what its like to be frustrated, it may have been mentioned before, but for the sake of knowing here's what to do:

** Be sure when you are done in each program, hit menu, look for close, hit close. That way you'll have less problems.

** Go to options-then Auto On/Off, hit it, and put your own times for the week or weekend for when you want to shut off.  Hope this helps!    

Sincerely,    Timwa100

ok so I've had the same problem for a few days now. Almost ready to throw this thing out the window. I tried to bring it back thinking that I had changed a setting but that doesnt seem to be the problem.

So as of now I think I've solved the problem. My storm hasnt turned off in 5 hours. Thats about a record for me.

What I did was clear the entire phones memory. And resynced it with the installation software.

I did have to reenter my email and ringtones. Its not so bad as long as all of your contacts and calender are synced.

if you want to try it here is how its done.

Options > Security settings > General settings > BB/Menu button > Wipe handheld.

Then start from scratch.

Hopefully this works for others.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

ANY smartphone, including the BB will run down its battery with bad software running on it.  In fact, in extreme cases the battery and other circuits can overheat, the phone then shuts down to save its circuits and reboots.

Longevity of the battery is based on the phone "resting" while waiting for IO.  Literally between key strokes, the processor is powering down to conserve the battery.

Any software that doesn't enter this wait state can drain the battery in minutes.  Examples are programs with lots of constantly changing graphics, badly written programs that loop internally instead of using a timer, web pages with poorly defined java script.   So ... be conservative about the software you use.   Anything with a lot of extra animation is going to be a battery hog.   Any program that too frequently checks back with an external server also will use up a lot of battery.   Using a setting that allows for too frequent checks, bad idea.

If you have a CDMA service such as Verizon then you should also update the PRL regularly.  For Verizon this is done by calling *228 and entering option 2.  I've noticed that some Verizon stores provide the phone without actually doing this and this will very likely lead to the exact problems people are describing.    Following this process once a month or any time you make a change to another region of the country is a very good idea.

Another thing is that if you ran down your battery without first charging it up all the way (such as when you first got it) you have probably damaged the battery.  This too is true for all Lithium Ion batteries.  I might add that periodically draining the battery on purpose is a good idea for other types of batteries BUT NOT for LiOn ones such as most cell phones use.  Doing this will also shorten the batteries life.

I do these things and I have not had any reboot or battery drain problems at all.   My phone goes all day with many emails and a couple of phone calls and is not even down 1/2 of its battery.  I might add that I've had a number of other smart phone type cell phones and folks have the same complaints about them for the same reasons.