Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Will Verizon still work if I unlock my Verizon BB Storm 2 / 9550

Hi, 

I hope I am not duplicating an existing thread... but could not find the issue / answer so far. 

I really have two questions (that are related)

1. I have a BB Storm 2 on Verizon and bought an unlock code. However, before unlocking, I wanted to make sure I can still use my phone / email / data with my existing Verizon account. The reason I am unlocking the phone in the first place is that I want to give it to my mother in Germany in about a month, who will use it with a different, local provider. 

2. Once I give the phone to my mother in Germany, would she be able to use it just via WiFi or would she have to have a provider and data plan to send email? She does not really need it as a phone, just to send email. I don't know, though, if she would even be able to set it up with an email account if she does not have a regular wireless provider. 

Thank you very much!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Will Verizon still work if I unlock my Verizon BB Storm 2 / 9550

Hi there,

Don't worry, you will still be able to use your phone on Verizon when you unlock it. Just make sure to enter the code carefully and as you only get 10 tries and then it will be permanently locked to Verizon.

Once you give the phone to your mom in Germany, she will be able to use the browser and a few apps over wifi, but if she wants to use the email features or anything like BBM, she will need a BlackBerry data plan (a regular data plan is not enough). Now then, if she's just using an email service like Gmail or Hotmail, she can just log in via the browser while on wifi and manually check her emails. But that's the only option for use over wifi.

I hope this info helps out!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Will Verizon still work if I unlock my Verizon BB Storm 2 / 9550

Thank you very much. Relief! ;-) This will allow me to see if the unlocking works well before I go there.