Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
dhanger
My Device: Not Specified

adding contact options

pardon me in advance if ans is in user guide. i looked. I would like to know if there is an option maybe the desktop manager to manually add contacts. I was using a treo (w) and I really don't want to try synching at this point besides having a bloated number i would just like to add selected contacts. Right now adding them manually on the suretype or multitap would be daunting (even if it would give me much needed experience)
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: adding contact options

Yes! Enter your contacts in Outlook or Windows contacts first and sync to the BB using Desktop Manager > Sync.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dhanger

Thanks for the suggestion but my problem is my outlook contacts is in severe need of cleaning and i don't want all my outlook contacts in my BB. Is there a way to select the individual contacts to synch? i'm using outllook 2003.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bb74

Ok I think I can help. First of all I'm going to use my self as an example. Let's say I have 2 groups work and friends but I want a third Group for say... Church members ok. In outlook I would create a new "Group" for those church members. Then ( the following is from my memory as my computer crashed on christmas) right click on a "friend" You also want in your " Church Group" see if there is an option to "send" it to another group or go into The card itself where you fill in the fields and see if there are any choices to put that friend in your Church group. Then in the blackberry create a new group under the same name as say Church. Then resync and see if that group is created and filled. If not then here is what I did in my storm for my "Friends" group of contacts. Go contacts / menu / filter / see the three choices click menu / click new. And type next group name Then find a person in your main pool of contacts you want in the "Church" group. Click the contact and choose Edit click menu choose category then highlight "Church". Then click menu then save. Go to next person click them hit menu / edit / menu / groups / church/menu/save and repeat. No re typing needed
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dhanger

thank you all. I ended up synching all contacts and then deleting the ones i didn't need in the storm. starting with 586 whitled down to a couple hundred important ones. The reason for so many contacts is I'm in sales and marketing. I'm learning. I do however have a stiff neck from sitting and deleting.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Sorry I got back to this late.

In Outlook, you would create a sub folder in your contacts, name it something like "Other", and move to that folder those contacts you don't to sync.

Those contacts won't sync to your BB. Only those in your main Contacts folder will sync. Cleaning up the Contacts list ON the PC in Outlook is the place to do it, much easier than on the BB.

Good luck. At least it works and you know how.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
cwalworth

how do I move a group from my PC to the blackberry? All other contacts are syncing but it is leaving (2) contacts that have muliple email addresses in them. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sbsmith

I solved the problem of syncing Outlook Contacts with the BB by creating a "category" in Outlook called BB. Then any contact that I want to have on the BB, I assign to the BB Category. Then when I set up the parameters for syncing on the BB Desktop, I filter for any contact that contains the BB Category. Once set up this easy to do and allows me to easily change which contacts I want on the BB.

Look under "Current View" in Outlook and you can see a "Category" View. This makes it easy to review the list of contacts in the BB category or to add or delete.

Hope it works for you.

Please use plain text.
dfriedlander
My Device: 8830 World Edition

I know this message is a year-old, but I just tried this and it worked.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.