Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

battery life

the battery life seems to be very low. i had my phone fully charged in the morning and around 15 hours later it got almost empty. i made just a few short phone calls and i didnt use applications all the time.

im wondering if something is wrong with my battery or are all batteries just like mine? if yes then i got to say that the battery life is very low and very dissapointing

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: battery life

I'm yet to get in touch with Storm BB :smileysad:

Hope someone else will help you out...

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Read this thread on another forum for some tips:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/157157-battery-life-blackberry-b...

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Yea I had read that thread, good info. It just seems a good comprehensive post of several tips, tricks and workaround in the link provided above covered several more issues. It's nice to have all resources covered, so thanks!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

The battery life is unbelievably bad and I await with bated breath for RIM to give the same advise Apple did to iPhone users i.e.. switch it off!

Darn, can't find the link to that at the moment.

Anyway. Charged my new Storm overnight Friday (about 14 hours). I unplugged it, put it in it's pouch but never used it as I ended up going out for the day. By 9am on Sunday the battery had gone from fully charged to flat with no use whatsoever.

Sunday, charged the phone again and I spent about 30 minutes messing with the browsing. Sent and received two emails and sent a single SMS. After12hrs 35 min it had died (I was timing it)

I had not played any media and never even made a phone call.

Monday - here we go, this is why you have a BB, the work environment. It lasted 4 hours and Thirty minutes before it completely died on me :smileysad:

The usage was 15 minutes in phone calls, 6 emails and 1 MMS and a somewhat aborted 10 minute attempt to read a heavy PDF document sent to me.

I also spent around an hour or more using the browser.

I'm sorry but this just doesn't cut it especially as this is nothing compared to the use I would put my Nokia N95 through in a day.

A phone that is perceived as a business phone should not really die half way through a working day and when your read the specs you wonder how they can get away with their standby and call time claims

I'm not alone and Vodafone are asking customers not to rush to send back the handsets because of this issue while they try to find a solution (Possible solution would be to send all customers an extra charger and battery so they can get a full days use).

The handset also gets very (very, very) warm where the battery sits after a few minutes use - perhaps the short battery life is a safety system so you don't burn your hand.

OK, I apologise for the anger that must be showing here but I am shocked at what I feel has been a misrepresentation of the battery life of the device by RIM, I honestly thought they would be above that.

I cannot see how they will fix this issue in less than 12 days then my phone will probably going back and I'll never go near a Blackberry again. Although I'm aware that's no big loss for RIM LOL.

This is all a shame, because the Storm had so much going for it. The other faults reported appear to be mainly  software/firmware related and seemingly fixable by downloadable updates. With a decent battery I'd be defending this phone but in the end no matter how everything is put together, if you can't rely on it to be there when needed then it's a paperweight.

Message Edited by Artman on 11-17-2008 01:06 PM
New Contributor

The other thread here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&thread.id=299

Is marked at solved. Well, I gave my BB 15 hours of charging again last night and have spent an hour surfing with only a 5% depletion so I'm crossing my fingers and other bits.

There are niggles and little frustrations with the Storm but if the battery isuue is solved I will stick with it as it is the best compromise between an iPhone and something like my old N95 i.e. I want a reasonable surfing experience (I know the apple is superior here but the Storm is a generally more rounded device) and proper productivity tools not being crrippled by Apples policy.

I'll update later today as although It's a meeting morning I'll hammer the poor thing as often as I can.

It would also make sense to get yourself an extra charger for the office. These type Li-Ion batteries like a small topping-off during the day. Ten minutes of charging can add two-four hours of bagttery life.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Well, I have been vocal on how poor the battery life is but do now tend to agree that four or five long recharges helps improve battery time

I have been keeping my device alive for the best part of  9 hours and during this time I have surfed graphic intensive sites for about three hours, typed a couple of hundred words (I deserve a medal for those alone ) and sent a few texts and emails.

I have watched 15 minutes of video and recorded 8 minutes which therefore includes four phone re boots due to it crashing every 90 seconds when trying to record video (but that's another issue)

I have also taken three pictures and made a 12 min phone call and spent some time on msn and typing this on my BB. Chuck in a few e-mails and texts and while it wasn't an intense day, I kept the Storm busy.

Yesterday I had only 4 hours out of it and did practically sod all.

In accordance with other posts I'm willing to put this down to my fourth long recharge.

Irony? I finished writing this as the battery went down to 5% so wouldn't connect to post.

There is hope yet for this product :smileyhappy:

Contributor

I was going to return the phone today and ask for a new one until I read this forum and see its a common fault. I not sure if I want to return the whole device and go for something different. The battery life is really annoying me as I've charged it 3 times in 5 days since I've had it. The only other option I think would be to either cancel the contract as you can within 14 days or go for a N96. But I love this phone so far, with the browsing and email ease, but the battery life is starting to make me to think to return.