Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
Laureus
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

can't hit "start" button for media manager (within BB desktop manager)

hi there,

i'm having a major problem. i can't hit the "start" button for the Media Manager when i go into the BB Desktop Manager. I've tried to reinstall Desktop Manager & all other components several times. I've pulled out the battery. I've also set my memory options for my storm as:

Media Card Support: On

Encryption Mode: None

MTP: On

Mass Storage Media Support: On

Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Yes

Could someone PLEASE help me? I can't transfer ANY media whatsoever because of this problem! 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: can't hit "start" button for media manager (within BB desktop manager)

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Without starting the desktop software or media manager, plug the Storm into the USB cable and to the PC.

Open My Computer in Windows. Can you see the media card as a removable drive?

If so, you can "drag and drop" your files to the media card on the Storm.

To fix the media manager please specify the following:

PC, operating system (if vista 32 or 64)

Version of Desktop software currently installed.

Are you having any problems with the desktop manager backup or sync?

Thanks

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Laureus

Bifocals,

Desktop Manager Version: 4.7.0.25

And no, i'm not having any other problems with the desktop manager/sync.

Bifocals wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Without starting the desktop software or media manager, plug the Storm into the USB cable and to the PC.

To fix the media manager please specify the following:

PC, operating system (if vista 32 or 64)

Version of Desktop software currently installed.

Are you having any problems with the desktop manager backup or sync?

Thanks

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread.

Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stainer85
My Device: Storm 9530 (Verizon)

I had the same issue because the Desktop manager software that came with the phone didn't include Media Manager.  Through control panel, add/remove software I deleted blackberry desktop manager. then went to blackberry website and downloaded Desktop manager v4.7 (english version) w/ Media manager.  Ran the install and restarted PC and I am now able to access the media manager software in Desktop manager. 

Now the problem is that when I try to use the media manager program it freezes my Pc so watch out for that.  I'm not sure if it is an issue of having other programs running while it searches for media but I tried it twice with poor results.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Laureus

well, i've tried to do the same thing. i've gone into add/remove programs..uninstalled/reinstalled all BB related programs 3x now (& removing the battery each time). and i'm still not able to access media manager (its still greyed out). however, i am now able to transfer media using Bifocal's idea of using the BB as a "removable drive" when it appears in "my computer".  i usually prefer click and drag options anyways. thanks for the idea Bifocal. :~)

stainer85 wrote:

I had the same issue because the Desktop manager software that came with the phone didn't include Media Manager.  Through control panel, add/remove software I deleted blackberry desktop manager. then went to blackberry website and downloaded Desktop manager v4.7 (english version) w/ Media manager.  Ran the install and restarted PC and I am now able to access the media manager software in Desktop manager. 

Now the problem is that when I try to use the media manager program it freezes my Pc so watch out for that.  I'm not sure if it is an issue of having other programs running while it searches for media but I tried it twice with poor results.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Can you answer this question please?

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Laureus

i thought i did answer that question in my most recent post in this thread...

the "media card" dsn't appear as a removable drive, but my storm does. (same thing i suppose) & like i stated earlier, i am now able to click & drag media files to my storm. However, that still didn't solve my original problem of being able to use media manager. its still not working.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

I didn't see your post as we cross posted.

I prefer the old drag and drop as well!

I understand that the main problem isn't fixed.

By asking about the window's access I was trying to delimiter if

it was a driver problem. It also allows you to proceed in the mean time.

I will get back to you after getting some links on the problem.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Yanks121482

I'm having this same problem.  I've done just about everything I can think of, and I still cant get it to work.  I uninstalled everything Blackberry related, then reinstalled the drivers and desktop manager.  the button was still inactive.  So i tried the drag-and-drop method, and I'm getting 2 removable drives, and both of them say "Please insert a disc in drive F/G:".  It's good to know that I'm not the only one having this issue, though.  I was speaking to my friend about it earlier and he had no clue what I was talking about.  Any ideas?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
djrupey
My Device: Storm 9500

I had the same problem with Media Manager, greyed out and not responding to anything. I gave up in the end. However I have found that I don't need it. I just connect my BB to the PC and turn it on. When the BB is switched on my PC sees the BB via My Computer as two drives, one for the Device memory, with sub-folders and one for the Media memory, also with sub-folders. Then I simply drag and drop files in.

If you don't switch the BB on, the PC just sees the memory as Device G: and Device H:, and won't drag files to them. The BB must be switched on.

I have also found that I can write files directly to the BB this way, for example music files or videos, via recording software such as Audacity (music) and WM Recorder/Converter (video). No need for Media Manager at all.

Furthermore, if the BB Desktop Manager continues to open itself every time I switch my PC on, I am going to delete it and only use it when needed from the CD. I don't want DM hijacking my PC every time I switch it on; it takes ages to load and faffs about looking through my files. Until it's finished I can't dop anything with my PC. It's a pain in the arse, quite frankly, and is beginning to really annoy me. 

Please use plain text.