Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
ralphhr
My Device: Storm 9550
Accepted Solution

cannot make long distance calls when dialing from BB address book

Hello, 

1) If use a number from my address book, example 1-604-824-2021, to call long distance I get a message "all long distance calls must include the area code.  Please check the number and dial again."   If I use the telephone pad to call the exact same number, eg 1-604-82402021, the call goes through.  Is there a setting to adjust?  Please advise.  Thank you.

2) I synched my BB to Outlook 2007 on my pc in order to print a hardcopy of my contact list.  The sync worked fine but only gave me the contacts with an email address and their name.  Contacts on my BB without email addresses didn't show on the list and all details, addresses, birthdates, and most importantly phone numbers for any contacts didn't show up.  Is there a way to get ALL the contact details on a hardcopy?  Thank you.

The folks at Telus can't help because they apparently don't know BB products well enough.  I'm not about to pay BB technical to tell me how to use their product but i might take the service providers advise to buy an iPhone.  Can someone offer advise to solve these two seemingly simple issues

Thanks again.

Ralph

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: cannot make long distance calls when dialing from BB address book

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

ralphhr wrote:

1) If use a number from my address book, example 1-604-824-2021, to call long distance I get a message "all long distance calls must include the area code.  Please check the number and dial again."   If I use the telephone pad to call the exact same number, eg 1-604-82402021, the call goes through.  Is there a setting to adjust?  Please advise.  Thank you.

Please check your Smart Dialing settings...it may be that they are active, which could make the "1" in your Contact Item extraneous.

• KB20595 How to turn off the Smart Dialing feature

ralphhr wrote:

2) I synched my BB to Outlook 2007 on my pc in order to print a hardcopy of my contact list.  The sync worked fine but only gave me the contacts with an email address and their name.  Contacts on my BB without email addresses didn't show on the list and all details, addresses, birthdates, and most importantly phone numbers for any contacts didn't show up.  Is there a way to get ALL the contact details on a hardcopy?  Thank you.

Interesting...it should sync everything...hmmm... Well, if your only interest is a hard copy, then an export might be just as simple. The Desktop Software can export to a CSV, which you could then render in Excel, and do with as you please. Unfortunately, the export feature was removed in the most recent versions of the Desktop Software (don't ask...it's a HUGE bru-ha-ha!!), and you must use an older version (6.x or lower, as I recall) to do that:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ralphhr

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  

Your recommendation for Smart Dial worked.  Instead of entering "Canada +1" I entered "unknown" and it worked.  Since I travel in Asia frequently the country and area codes are always entered in my contact list, even for Canada.  That might have been the key.

The second part though, exporting my address book as a CSV file using version 5 Desktop Manager remains ellusive.  I  can back it up as an "ipd" file but no luck finding the option to export as a CSV.  May I ask for your time again to lead me as you would a 6 year old please?  Thanks.

Kind regards,

Ralph

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I thought that Desktop Software 5.x had the export, but I can't recall for sure. But, here's a KB with the step by step:

• KB24488 How to export contacts from a BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6

It does note for Desktop Software 6.x, so that may mean that it was only available in that version level.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ralphhr

Hello,

Thank you once again. Works fine.  I really appreciate your speedy reply and taking the time to help.

Kind regards,

Ralph

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ralphhr

Hi, Foiled again.  I had my settings to automatic updates and when I plugged in my device to follow your instructions Desktop 7 automatically downloaded.  Now instead of "You can export contacts from a BlackBerry smartphone to a comma separated list using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6" I need 7.  The options described in the procedure list are no where to be found on DT version 7.  I searched they support forums link as best as I could but no luck. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaurgh!  Sorry to have to ask for your help again.  Kind regards, Ralph

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand. Here's what I get from you so far, including this most recent post:

1) Using the instructions earlier provided, you had successfully downloaded and installed Desktop 6, and successfully exported your contacts

2) But, you had, during that install, configured it to auto-update, and it has now done so, causing you to lose the export function

3) You now say "I need 7"...I can't, from what you say, figure out why...

So, if you indeed need just the export, then you need to stay on Desktop 6. So, wouldn't that simply be a matter now of re-doing what you did before (to fall back to Desktop 6) but, this time, NOT selecting the auto-update feature?

Perhaps I don't understand...

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sarang_IntouchApp
My Device: Curve 9700

Hi ralphhr,

We are building a modern contact management app that can resolve all your problems. Get away from all the PC application & incompatibility mess!

Just install our app to backup all your contacts securely so you never lose them. We are even working on emailing you a hard copy of your contacts - either as CSV or as a PDF. 

Since you mention you travel often to Asia, you will be happy to note that your contacts can get your local contact details automatically as you travel around the world. Just change your contact details from the app and all connected contacts see your new contact info on their phone!

Here is our app on AppWorld: http://bit.ly/QpYPbQ , give it a shot.

Write to me at support @ intouchid.net to discuss this further.

Please use plain text.