Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
talk2melikeim6
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: petro mobile

changing from telus to petro mobility can't grt internet to work

Hi, I have an unlocked 9530 storm and have changed carriers from telus to petro mobility the phone and texting work but I can't figure out how to get the internet working. Petro mobility has VERY LIMITED help they told me to talk to blackberry so here I am, I need someone to walk me through this as I am pathetic at this stuff {talk 2 me like I'm 6}.Here's what they have on their site

homepage http://wap:/start.wml

connection security:smileysurprised:ff

active bearer:gprs

connection type:normal

access point name:goam.com

user name:wapuser1

password:wap

login type:automatic

primary proxy server setting:10.128.1.69

primary proxy server port:80

I' not sure were to find some of thes on my phone and don't know if I have put what I have found in right

I went to options, then advanced options, then tcp/ip there I have :apn setting enabled

apn:http://:8582/start.wml

apn authentication enabled

username for apn:wapuser1

password for apn:wap

I have changed mobile options to gsm/umts, 3g&2g also no luck  ,the mobile network is ticked on and says petro-canada. When I try to connect  the telus logo starts to load and then says "unable to connect to internet,plese try later"The loading bar at the bottom of the telus logo says petro-canada in it .

Any help would be greatly appriciated,but remember I'm only a "computer allitlebit" so talk to me like I'm 6.

Thanks Dan

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: changing from telus to petro mobility can't grt internet to work

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

First things first...is Petro a BB-supporting carrier at all? Via the official download portal (which I use to tell me which carriers support BBs), I do not find them listed at all:

That is not necessarily the end of it...but you need to be sure that Petro actually supports BBs...for if they do not, then you will likely never be able to do anything more than voice and SMS with this device on their network. If you have a data plan from them, you might be able to get the HotSpot browser to work for you...which you configure within the Options inside of the Browser app itself.

Second -- if they are a BB-supporting carrier, does their network natively support the 9530? The carriers choose which specific model BBs they will support, and their network then automatically configures the device to function on their network. But, if their network does not natively support the 9530, then their network will not do any of those automatic things...and it can be quite challenging indeed to force your BB to work on their network (and requires someone with very high computer and BB skills to even attempt it).

So please start with those two items, for if either result is "false", then attempting anything else is moot.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
talk2melikeim6

Hi and thanks for replying, I understand that petroleum mobility uses the Rogers system and I see that's on the list you supplied,whether that means it is blackberry friendly too I don't know. I see on unlocked.com that the 9530is compatable with the Roger system so it should be on petro as they piggy back on RogersI have seen other people's posts in various sites suggesting that there are ways to do it but I am nowhere near as computer literate as they are.Petroleum mobility is a bare bones carrier that has no support for people that choose to bring there own phone from other carriers thus the cheap prices.

I read somewhere to download opera mini and you can get it to work with that so I will try downloading that onto my Mac and then onto my phone and see what I can do from there. I bought the phone off one of my kids friends so I could text them as they don't answer their phones half the the time but they always seem to answer their texts and it does this and makes calls fine on this system.If I can get the inter net working great but if not it's still way better than I was getting through Telus and I'm paying less.

I'll try downloading the opera and see what I can do with that. If you have any more suggestion that would be great but if not I still really appreciate your feedback .

Thanks Dan

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

Hi and thanks for replying, I understand that petroleum mobility uses the Rogers system and I see that's on the list you supplied,whether that means it is blackberry friendly too I don't know. 

Then you need to ask them...and "BlackBerry friendly" isn't really adequate...they need to be a formal BB supporting carrier as well as have your specific BB model natively supported by their network. I do not know if you have to ask Petro or Rogers this question -- likely Petro, unless all they are doing is truly passing through the sale transaction and the actual services are directly provided by Rogers. If Petro has any systems involved in the communications, then they must be a fully BB supporting carrier.

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

I see on unlocked.com that the 9530is compatable with the Roger system so it should be on petro as they piggy back on RogersI

Again, only Petro can answer that specific question. It's their network after all.

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

I have seen other people's posts in various sites suggesting that there are ways to do it but I am nowhere near as computer literate as they are.

It may be that there are some very "computer literate" tricks that must be conducted...but I have no idea what those might be.

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

Petroleum mobility is a bare bones carrier that has no support for people that choose to bring there own phone from other carriers thus the cheap prices.

Ahhh...then I highly doubt that they are a truly BB supporting carrier.

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

I read somewhere to download opera mini and you can get it to work with that so I will try downloading that onto my Mac and then onto my phone and see what I can do from there.

If you have a generic data plan, then that might work. No BB-specific services will work, however (no native BB Browser, no AppWorld, no BBM, no email, etc.).

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

I bought the phone off one of my kids friends

Uh oh...then this might apply:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

If you have any more suggestion that would be great but if not I still really appreciate your feedback .

From what you've described, I seriously doubt that you'll ever get any BB services working on Petro. You might get Opera to function if you have a generic data plan, but no BB specific services. I've no idea what "tricks" those other sites may have recommended.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
talk2melikeim6

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
talk2melikeim6

Hi , I spent an hour last night with a blackberry tech and with a Telus tech,from what I understand is that even though the phone is unlocked Telus still has its hooks in it and there are parts that are still basically locked. The Telus guy says that the blackberry profile that the original owner of the phone is still on it and for me to get it removed I have to track them down and get them to call Telus and give them their pin . I had a flip phone for years before this and all I was really looking to do was be able to text my kids once in a while, the Internet was a bonus at only $8 but this is getting to be to much of a pain for something I probably won't use too much anyway.If I decide I'll get it it will be easier to by one of Petroleum mobiles ugly nokia phones. Thanks again for your help,it's great that there are people like you out there that are willing to help total strangers!

Thanks Dan 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Cool...I'm glad you got some answers...but allow me please to clarify a bit...

talk2melikeim6 wrote:

Hi , I spent an hour last night with a blackberry tech and with a Telus tech,from what I understand is that even though the phone is unlocked Telus still has its hooks in it and there are parts that are still basically locked. The Telus guy says that the blackberry profile that the original owner of the phone is still on it and for me to get it removed I have to track them down and get them to call Telus and give them their pin . 

There is actually nothing on the BB itself that is causing this. Rather, Telus still has a BIS account allocated in their system for this BB PIN. And no other carrier can allocate a BIS account to the BB until Telus releases it. And Telus will only accept the release request from the actual account holder, which is not you. This is a very common problem with used devices...and is covered fully in the KB I gave you in message 4 above.

But, this should still be irrelevant for what you desire to do. All this would do is enable the BB Proprietary services to function via Petro, but still only if Petro actually supports BBs at all, and your specific BB model as well...both factors about which I think we have already ruled out as available. Hence, with the PIN still locked to the Tesus BIS system, you should still be able to do all non-BB specific functions -- calls, voice mail, and SMS should work just fine, as should the Opera browser if you indeed have some sort of data plan from Petro.

But, to get that to go right, you may still need to conduct those steps listed in the KB I gave you in post 4 above. The Telus system may indeed have placed some things (Service Books) onto this BB that may well impede some functions on Petro...but the steps in that KB (especially the WIPE) should remove those things and allow the BB to at least work on Petro for these non-BB functions.

Then again, if calls, voice mail, and SMS are already working, then all you need to do is continue as you already stated...install Opera and see if it works. If it does, then you won't really have to do the WIPE (though, you really should IMHO).

You are most very welcome, and good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
talk2melikeim6

Hi, I'm going to try wiping my phone but have a couple questions should I take out the simple card and the memory card? They are both new and the only thing on the memory card is some music that I installed. I backed up but if they don't have to be in there I'll take them out.

Thanks Dan

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

"Simple"? I thought you were on Petro (Simple is another carrier in the world). Or maybe you meant SIM?

In any event, go ahead and remove the Media Card if you want to be 100% certain to preserve what it has. Leave the SIM in as, after the WIPE, it'll reboot and needs to connect to the network when it does so.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
talk2melikeim6

Simple was typed as sim but my playbook likes to change my spelling and sometimes I don't catch it.The wipe got ride of the last guys phone number off of the " my number"on the dial pad so that's good but still get the Telus sign when I try the Internet. I also got a text after I tried from Telus congratulating me on buying a storm from them.

I am trying to input the information from petro onto the phone so tell me if I'm wrong, I went to tcp/IP and ticked apn authentication enabled box and then under user name for apn I put wapuser1,  then in password I put wap Apn settings enabled is also ticked and says Apn: tmrim.including.is under it.

Under browser configuration Telus wap browser

Defaut wap browser configuration is the same

Under mobile network: data service.     ON

While roaming.                  On

mobile network.                                      Petro-canada

Network selection mode.                         Automatic 

Network technology.                                 Gsm/umts

Network mode.                                           3g&2g

If I switch network selection mode to manual the it says petro Canada 2ghunder available networks but still no internet.

Any suggestion as to how I'm doing so far? 

Please use plain text.