Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
elofton
My Device: Not Specified

Re: connection with macbook pro

Just found this on the Blackberry site.  Must have overlooked it before.  Apparently, this is why the PocketMac won't work for me.

"After installing the Preview Version of BlackBerry® Media Sync, other software previously used to synchronize data with your Mac®, such as PocketMac® for BlackBerry® devices or Missing Sync, will no longer be able to connect to your device and will not work until BlackBerry® Media Sync is uninstalled."

karaleec

I have a Blackberry storm that i just got, and i installed the Pocketmac software. It worked at first, but only syncd 89/392 Contacts from my Address Book on my Macintosh (leopard 10.5.6). It would look as if it was working, but then stall out at the last second, and i would have to press cancel and it would give me the error that not all data would be syncd. I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and it didnt even recognize my blackberry (error device not recognized, skipping). I looked online and found the solution on this thread . I tried it, step by step and it looked as if it worked, but then stalled out again. Now, any time I try to even open the sync manager it crashes. I have disabled the password, I have it on the data whatever setting so i see "Blackberry 1" and "Blackberry 2" on my computer.
I am extremely frustrated, because i feel like i have tried absolutely everything.
the driver update i used was DriverUpdate.3.1.3B.dmg
the pocketmac i used was PocketMacForBlackBerry4.1.25.dmg

Visitor
afg_capone

alright guys, maybe i can shed some light here.

first off, you cant have the mediasync thing installed if u wanna use pocketmac

u can sync music with pocketmac too so i dont think u really need mediasync

second... uninstall pocketmac if you have it installed.... and u have to uninstall it by following the steps in this guide

http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/bis-apple-mac-desktop-support/1864-how-completely-uninstal...

after u uninstall it... download pocketmac and install it again.

after u install pocketmac, install the update for pocketmac...

both of which can be found here

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

that should do the trick. let me know if you need any more help btw i hate the bookmark sync feature.

hope it helps... just remember... u need to uninstall it by following the instructions on that website provided above or else its not going to work..

tlridder

I have a BB Curve 8330 and a Mac Book.  When I first installed the Pocket Mac, I had no problem-synced a few times with no issues.  Now when I try to sync, it gets stuck in Calendars and won't go any further.  Your problem sounds just like mine.  I followed the instructions about uninstalling/deleting all Pocket Mac and reinstalling and still no go.  Please help.
lyseestar

Lets talk about the storm, I'm on my second one and so far this PDA is the least Mac Friendly of all the bbrs so far. I own an 7520,8830,curve , and now storm. With all of the other phones I was able to file transfer, via BLUETOOTH, music,pictures and 4,389 contacts with out error. Of course this handy work was not without struggle but never have I put this much time into a BB. The fact is that Rim  Refuses to help us. They dont care. They know that there product os strong enough for many of us to keep "playing with the phones" and toying with the idea that one day  the syn/skipping/ refusal for file transfer support  will work. After all they charge 45 bucks to fix the problem. WHy do we put up with this? Why not get an an Iphone?  Verizon. We like aour carrier. This is no win situation. Actually thats not true. As far as touch screens go , for the mac user, the Iphone wins hands down. I would rather spend my time unlocking it then dealing with this crap.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

It's unfortunate you're having this experience.  Have you tried using a version of the desktop software for a previous BB version?  Perhaps a previous version would still work with the Storm and would provide that functionality you're used to.  Have you tried that yet??

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
hsgidley

See http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16342&sliceId=1&docTy...

for the patch to the PocketMac that fixes the problems in syncing with Mac's. This fix was released in Dec 2008. I followed the instructions indicated in the patch as well as those found in this forum (formatting the media card), and no less than 2 hard phone resets (pulling the battery and re-inserting) and 4 macbook reboots, and 2 hours of fiddling, I was successful at getting the Storm to sync with ical and my address book. 

The patch fix includes instructions (see below) for deleting files on the mac (yes, I did this), reinstalling the patch, hard reset the Storm (yes, I did this too). All worked nicely. Get the patch at: 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16342&sliceId=1&docTy...

if PocketMac for BlackBerry smartphone is still unable to detect the BlackBerry smartphone after applying the driver update, there may be an issue with the files used while the upgrade was applied. To resolve this issue, open the Extensions folder by going to HD > System > Library > Extensions and delete the following files:

• BlackBerryUSB.kext
  • BlackBerryUSBDev.kext

Make sure to restart the computer and install the PocketMac Driver update again after deleting these files.

If you are using a BlackBerry® Storm® smartphone, and are experiencing issues with connectivity after applying the PocketMac 4.1.25 Driver update, perform the following:

1. On the BlackBerry smartphone, navigate to the Options icon.
  2. In the Options menu, select Memory.
  3. Set the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) option to Off.
  4. Set the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected option to either Yes or Prompt.
  5. Save these changes.
  6. Remove the battery from the BlackBerry smartphone, and allow the BlackBerry smartphone to return to the home screen.
  7. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the Mac, and open the PocketMac.

Visitor
cbdv

Hello, I followed the proscribed approach, still no luck, any other hidden closets? cb 
New Contributor
hsgidley

As it turned out this worked for me precisely once, then never again. Support indicated that syncing between the BB and the mac should always be done via the cable. You could try that approach.

In the end, I could not get the BB to fully sync contacts with my macbook - only the name came over, not the address information. Since I use my contacts list heavily with my cell phone and on the computer, the inability to sync them just drove me crazy. The same with the calendar synchronizing.

I abandoned the BB and Verizon entirely and switched to the iPhone and AT&T. I've never been happier!!!!!

Within minutes I had my contacts and calendars synchronized between the iPhone and the Macbook - and since I use the Mobile Me service, they stay synchronized *automatically* without me having to do anything. No wired sync. No wireless tether. Nada. Appointments made on my iPhone appear on my desktop and visa versa.   

Sorry that I can't offer any other help on the BB and Mac sync - I've continued to hear that this has been a real problem from others.

I did even try purchasing the Marc Space Missing Sync product - and sorry to say that didn't work either! And with no refund/return option from them, this was a lost cost.