Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Forums Veteran III
urumilton

Re: guide to upgrading OS for new users?

Sorry Bifocals for call you to this thread, but you know exactly, and Thanks to Krypto too.

We have a great community here. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

That's okay Urumilton, Krypto's driving...lets go get some ice cream!

:smileyvery-happy:

(you are buyin!)

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

Ok, so now that I've been given the go ahead (don't want to tread on toes!), here are the steps:

As Bifocals stated, use BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7.  If you don't have this, you can download it from BlackBerry's website.  Install it, restart your computer and after that, follow these steps.

1. Extract and install the OS on your computer by double-clicking on the OS file.  Make sure the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is closed and your phone is unplugged when doing this.  If you've installed any previous versions, you should remove them first by going to Control Panel > Programs and Features (you'll see it listed as BlackBerry Device Software) as they can sometime prevent the update software from recognizing the new version (this is more for future reference as you've already stated that this is your first update - this is also recommended if you want to downgrade back to the original OS).
  2. Open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the Vendor.xml file.  Note, you only need to do this when installing a leaked OS.  There is no need to do this when installing your carrier's official OS (and in many cases, it works fine even if you forget, but just to be safe...).
  3. Open up your BlackBerry Desktop Manager and plug in your phone.  Once the manager has recognized the phone, go do a backup, just in case.  Click on Backup/Restore and do a full backup.
  4. Go back to the Main Menu once the Backup is complete, then click on Application Loader.
  5. Go to Update Software and click on the Start Button.
  6. Select the version you are upgrading to (it will show a preferred version, which is the official release, then the other version you just installed).  Click Next.
  7. Under Device Software Options, click on Options.  Here you can select all the programs you want upgraded or deleted from the phone.  If you want to change any of your Backup settings, you can do this by clicking Settings.
  8. Click next and don't disconnect the phone until it's completely done (it might take ~15-20 minutes).
  9. That should be it!  If the software is unable to restore your data to the phone, you can now go back to the Main Menu, and restore the data using the Backup/Restore feature.

This should work just fine, but if there are any problems, let us know, or feel free to check out those other guides.  But this should get you running smoothly.  After the upgrade, resend your service books, pull the battery out for 15-30 seconds to do a hard reset, and everthing should be all good.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

I should also mention that there is a loader file you can also use for this, but I prefer this method personally, and it's worked just fine on both a Vista 32-bit laptop and a Vista 64-bit laptop.

:smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kaynam69

oh one more thing, is it true that u lose ur mms on the v4.7.0.100 upgrade? any other problems u know that I might encounter if I upgrade?
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

I'm on the 9530, so I actually don't know for certain (our current OS is .99), but I have seen a few posts that suggest that MMS is gone for some reason.  Unless you use this a lot, I wouldn't let it hold you back, and worse comes to worse, use the steps I included above to go back! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kaynam69

fingers crossed.. hope this does not happen to me.
thanx a lot!
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

And if anything does happen, I'll stick around here for the next hour before calling it a night, so feel free to post a message with any difficulties you're having!  :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kaynam69

I have already upgraded by Storm to the leaked v4.7.0.100 OS... So far, so good... still have to see how it affects the battery life though... as for the MMS issue that I've read about & was dreading to happen to my Storm, non of it has come up! I was able to send a couple after the upgrade... it's still there.
Thank you - Bifocals, Krypto, Urumilton....
We really do have a great community here!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Cool!
I'm glad you have it fixed.
Thanks,

Bifocals
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.