Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

dshaapapuro
My Device: Not Specified

Re: tunes Sync

I might have some good news for anyone having issues syncing their phone to media sync. I spent about 2 hours on the phone this morning/afternoon with a verizon tech. it seems that Mass Storage Mode Support needs to be on, with Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) ON. And auto enable Mass Storage Mode set to yes, you must enable all of the above specs and save them to your device by backing out of the menu. You will need to download the following programs for the sync to work properly BLACKBERRY DESKTOP MANAGER and ITUNES MEDIA SYNC.

Also if you are having the windows administrative error "cannot initialize" you must update your device with www.blackberry.com/update.

I will include the email from the Tech Rep. that I had sent to me, I hope that you find this helpful as I did.

Haven’t had much success with Blackberry support, appears they are working on a solution for this issue. I did however find this information

The BlackBerry Media Sync installation failed to initialize. Please run BlackBerry Desktop Manager with administrative privileges and try again.

Doc ID : KB15746
Last Modified : 2008-11-18
Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
  • BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 4.6 and 4.7
  • BlackBerry® Media Sync
  • Windows Vista™
  • SDR178853

Problem

When attempting to start BlackBerry Media Sync from within the Media application in BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.6 or 4.7 the following prompt appears:

Cause

When launched from BlackBerry Desktop Manager, BlackBerry Media Sync requires full administrative privileges to complete the installation.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Workaround

Complete the appropriate workaround to install BlackBerry Media Sync:

Workaround 1 - Run the BlackBerry Desktop Manager as a local administrator

1. If BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running, close it before proceeding.
  2. On the desktop, right-click the BlackBerry Desktop Manager shortcut and click Run as administrator.

1. When the BlackBerry Desktop Manager starts, connect a BlackBerry smartphone.
  2. Click Media > Media Sync to install.

Workaround 2 - Download BlackBerry Media Sync separately from BlackBerry.com

1. On the computer that you want to install BlackBerry Media Sync on, open a browser and navigate to http://www.BlackBerry.com/mediasync.
  2. Click the Download tab.
  3. Click Download.
  4. Type the required information and click Next to start the download.

Workaround 3 - Change User Account Control (UAC) prior to installation

1. On the computer, go to Control Panel > User Accounts.
  2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off.
  3. Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer checkbox (This feature is turned on by default in Windows Vista).

1. Click OK and then restart computer to enable this change.
  2. Connect a supported BlackBerry smartphone to the computer after the BlackBerry Desktop Manager starts.
  3. Click the BlackBerry Media Sync icon in the Media application to install.

Let me know if this is any help at all

I will keep you updated with any information and updates that we get regarding the device and the software.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&thread.id=226

Please use plain text.
Photobrad

Hi there. New member. Just got a Storm today and was trying to sync to iTunes.

I too received teh admin message, so "ran as administrator" and then when it finished the installation, Device Manager would always crash.

So I tried all the suggestions made by BlackBerry support the posts here and finally got it to work by downloading the Media Sync installer directly.

For those who couldn't find it, the link (also above) is http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/media/mediasync.jsp#tab_tab_download

After installing that and restarting Desktop Manager the Desktop Manager recognized it and I was able to launch it and sync my iTunes.

YAY.

Good luck to those still struggling with this, but hopefully this will help!

Please use plain text.
babolater

Wow, thank you so much, solved my problem. I only wish that it would allow you to sync with protected music. Thanks again.
Please use plain text.
mckstr1

Re: iTunes Sync

After having the same problem I went to the BB site and downloaded Media Sync for Windows (I run Vista Home Pro). It downloaded easily, launched in it's own window (not in Desktop Manager) synced my Storm with my ITunes and now I can easily play these songs on my Storm. I guess the issue is with DM and not Media Sync.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mcostick

Used run as administrator from short cut and worked so far!

Thanks for posting and saving 2 hours of my life from being wasted with a tech who knows less than I do about the phone.

Please use plain text.
TGLASS8

Re: ITunes Sync

Thanks so much! i have had my phone since March and could not figure it out. I also have Windows VISTA which has proved to be a pain. The instructions worked perfectly and I appear to be synching my with iTunes.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

TGlass

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

daktorza wrote:

Can anyone help?

I've got this installed and all set up, problem is the application wont let me choose/tick any of the playlists i have set upI

Any ideas?

you should make yor own thread as your issue is different. easier to help the others in the case, and easier for us to address your concern as well

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
drizzt09
My Device: 8320 / 9530

the others still having the trouble installing mediasync, follow scoops link which gives you the direct link to manually download and install mediasync(make sure DTM is closed)

http://www.blackberry.com/mediasync

Please use plain text.