Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

opening attachments on a blackberry?

thinking of getting blackberrys for wife and I. am verizon customer and looking at storm2, 8330, 8530.  we both use web based email-I use hotmail and wife has own email that she uses for her business (self employed)  she wants to be able to open attachments she gets emailed to her-word,excel, ppt, pdf.  Looked through owners manuals for all the above and it says you must have email associated with Blackberry Internet Service, or something about Blackberry Enterprise Server?  Neither of us have corporate accounts.  will we have to pay extra to verizon to use the above so she can view attachments?  I know dataviz makes software to view and edit attachements, but I didn't want to have to pay for that since she only wants to be able to view them?  and is it different if you just load files onto the card as far as viewing them?  what I mean is could you load a word file onto card and view it but if you were sent the file via email you could not view it? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: opening attachments on a blackberry?

Wow a lot of questions there.. Let me answer what I can. 

With the Blackberry Device an application comes with it called "Documents to Go", and yes it's free to use the standard version (which will open PDF, Word, PPT, Excel). 

If you are going to be using Verizon as your cell provider with any Blackberry Device there is an additional $29.99 data plan fee, required!  And with that you can set up any email accounts to your blackberry and, yes, you will get attachments and the ability to open and view them.  You do not need a Blackberry Enterprise Server to do this.  Once you set up your blackberry (let's assume with Verizon) there will be an icon in the "Set Up" folder on your Blackberry Device where you can go and add email accounts.

Hope I gave you some insight and answered your question.

New Contributor

thanks.  answered most.  one last thing-can you save files such as a large PDF (about 40MB) on the phone or the removable card?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

hammerash wrote:

thanks.  answered most.  one last thing-can you save files such as a large PDF (about 40MB) on the phone or the removable card?

Yes, assuming you have enough space space on our card or removable card.  (It might take a while tho to download!)

New Contributor

thanks.  I wouldn't be downloading it.   it is the service manual for my motorcycle.  I like having it when I am going on long trips and taking the hardcopy takes up valuable space.  I converted it to jpegs and put on a card that goes into my garmin gps (since it does not have pdf reader), but the screen sucks and you can't really read it.