Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

"In Holster Only?" Faulty ringtone/message alerts

I'm new to Blackberrys, so please forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but what does "In Holster Only" mean? Knowing this might help my problem below:

I am frustrated because I set my universal ringtone to a song (in "sounds - set ring tones/alerts - phone"), yet when people would call me, it would still use the default ringer that was set when I bought the phone. Grr! So, I went through and edited, one by one, all of my contacts so that their ringer would be the song I supposedly set for ALL calls. Despite the fact that this was a long and tedious process, the problem I have now is when I set my phone to "vibrate only" (when I'm at work, or in a movie or church), when any of those people call me, my phone still rings - even though I have it set to vibrate. !!!

How do I fix this? Does changing anything to "In Holster Only" make a difference (whatever that is?). 

Solutions: 6,154
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "In Holster Only?" Faulty ringtone/message alerts

IN HOLSTER allows you to set another separate setting while the BB is IN its holster.

This is a holster, it should (or one similar) have come in the box with your BB.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Got it, thank you. I figured it was something similar to that, but I did not get a holster with my BB, so I wasn't quite sure what it referred to.

Knowing that, I still don't know how to fix my ringtone/vibrate problem, if anyone has some words of wisdom??

Thanks.

Contributor

Jsanders are you a verizon user, I ask only because my storm did not come with a holster, and is this something I should go back to them and ask for?

My wife has the pearl, and the holster seems like a great idea for the storm, but did not want to pay for one.

Actually I am not a verizon user, but using a Verizon 9530 storm, but one did come in the package, although my 9530 didn't come direct from Verizon, either, so it could have been an add-in.

To the question, do you have any exceptions set to the profile of users whose call would override the set profile?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates

Re-reading your origianl post again, yep, it appears that you have set those users to override the chosen profile. You can set their ringtone now to follow the active profile (be it silent or vibrate or normal) OR to override and ring through anyway.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I have the volume, LED, and vibration all set to "active profile" in each of my contacts. Doesn't that mean it should vibrate if I have the phone set to vibrate?
Highlighted
Contributor

Just wanted to say that I found my answer in this thread: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&message.id=4759&query.id=144088#...

In case anyone else had a similar problem..

Great solution, good search.

Knowledge Base Updates