If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

drabhinavbhanot
My Device: storm2 9520
My Carrier: vodafone

storm2(9520) ..... the touchscreen has stopped working

the touch of my screen has stopped functioning. the display is there but nothing is working.  only the button to lock the screen is working, otherwise all the call buttons and the menu and back button are also not working... how do i retrieve my contacts ........somebody plz help.......:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: storm2(9520) ..... the touchscreen has stopped working

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
drabhinavbhanot

i have done this innumerable times... but whenever my phone is rebooted, the screen doesnt work on the startup, it just shows the home screen and when i press it , it just doesnt open anything, i mean the click which is felt when we press the screen is gone,

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ahhh...OK...you neglected to mention earlier that you had already tried the reboot process...apologies for the redundancy.

So, what happened just before this started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Got wet? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...you might be able to boot into Safe Mode and undo that:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
drabhinavbhanot

apologies first for not mentioning some important facts before, few days back my phone got wet, then i dried it and it started working but after sometime i was getting trouble in the touchscreen as in some letters in the keyboard were not pressing and then as i told u the whole screen stopped functioning. by the way which is the ESC key.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time. Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
drabhinavbhanot

Well, what should i say, i think then my bb is dead then because when my bb got wet around a week back, i put it in an incubator at 37 degree celsius for one hour and then started using it, actually my phone didnt get fully wet, but just few drops here and there, but it was moist from the inside in the back cover portion, and i started using it the same day only, and it was working well so i thought the problem is gone but gradually these things started happening, the pink sticker indicator is all well , i just saw........... now what to do about this problem, i mean everything is happing, the phone is rebooting everytime , the display is there , then why the screen isnt working, there is gotta be some solution to fix it.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Goodness...how these details do keep trickling in!

In any event, there would be no harm trying the above-linked recommended procedure. As I say, the only thing predictable is that the results will be unpredictable. Your BB could indeed be totally dead already. It could also come back to life after doing the proper treatment. From what you describe, the only thing for sure that I can see is that, if you do nothing, then nothing will improve...and it's basically dead now anyway since you cannot use it for anything.

The only fix for internal corrosion is replacement of that which is corroded. If the corrosion is on the contacts with the motherboard or other connections, then diagnosis and replacement of those contacts is rather tedious...and I would suspect the cost to diagnose and replace would far exceed buying a new device.

In any event, as I say, doing the recommended procedure should do no harm, and may well do some good. I agree that the chances of success are indeed low, but not zero IMHO.

But...all I can do is recommend...you control your destiny.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
drabhinavbhanot

Well, thank you so much for your help and suggestions, i really appreciate it. i really needed the contacts on my phone but what can we do, :smileysad:..... and after talking to you, i dont think blackberry service centre people will be of much help to me i guess....... thanks once again

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Have you attempted to tether to your PC and obtain a backup of your BB? If you can accomplish that, then you will be able to obtain a 3rd party app (e.g., MagicBerry) and parse the resulting IPD/BBB file to at least get your data. Or, if you have been (I hope so!!!) all along using one of the FREE methods that RIM provides and performing regular backups or synchronizations, then you of course have your data safe there as well. If you've not been doing so...well...what can I say...computing devices will fail, so backups just aren't an optional activity.

I cannot predict what a service center will or will not do. With the indicator showing moisture damage, they of course would probably charge a fee to do anything as any warranty you may have had would normally be voided by the water damage. If you bought extra insurance, though, that might be usable...you need to check your documentation to know for sure.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.