Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Storm™

New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: verizon

why do i have to a battery pull every day to get back memory

every day i have to a battery pull becuz the memory gets down to low... and the phones crawls with the hour glass constantly spinng.. what is goin on .. why do i have to do this.. this is a really bad os design.. 

when i close a progam it should release the memory back,... and why is there only 13 megs available on phone that has gigs installed where is it all... ? whos ides was is this.. no wonder rim is loosing the batter.. and if you dont fix this then you will loose me also... soooooo disapointed.. 

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: why do i have to a battery pull every day to get back memory

Storm 9530 has 128MB of app memory. Meaning all of your device data and apps will be using this 128MB of memory. Even if you have Gigs of empty space in your media card that won't be counted against you app and device data. Bold 9650 and 9800 have 512MB of apps memory.

Remove all unused apps and keep you device memory free from old emails. Also check where you photos are being stored. If device memory selected then move them to Media Card.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

this still doesnt make any sense...

application memory

free space - 19. MB

device memory=

total space - 879.2 MB

free space - 827.6 MB

media card=

total space - 7.3 GB

free space - 2.6 GB

as you can see i am not using that much of the device memory?

and i dont have that much installed on here..

1 extra game - twitter - facebook - google maps -  xm radio - berry weather - gmail

now as i use the phone the 19MB will drop down - and down - and down - till the i see the spinning hour glass and i can not use the phone any more.. and have to do a batery pull to get back the 19 MB..  i CLose all programs when i leave them.. 

1st off why is there only 19 MB when device memory says 879GB..

2nd why isnt the memory used released back to the system when program is closed?

i have been told that this is becuz the system reserves the memory so that the program can use it again... why the hell would it do that i closed it...

THIS IS THE WORST IDEA AND THE PROBLEM WITH RIM

when the system ends a program it should release the memory back to ... or there should be program that allows you to that ..

and i dont mean that **bleep** program that simulates a battery pull..

who in there right mind at RIM thought of this..  

if this is not solved with there newer phones like storm3 .. then i will be leaving RIM...

when is the storm 3 comming out ? and what will it have as an OS?

Contributor
My Device: Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

It is actually a simple fix if RIM will do it.  Build all devices with at least a ghz of RAM, and or let the user install apps and run them from the media card.

Either one of these would eliminate the device running out of memory problems. Even the new Torch has only 512mb of RAM.  It is running OS6 and that is the minimum RAM suggested.

Steve
Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

You may actual have a bad app, If the app has a leak it will keep consuming the app accessable memory and still show vast storage only memory  still intact.  I try not to run radio apps cause it kills the battery and since it's streaming audio there is a lot of data hence the memory hog. You can try a memory re-allocator app  and see if this helps, but I would try isolating the app that is bogging down the device and then get rid of it.

New Contributor

yeah but i dont run xm that much.. once in a while...  

i only realy use facebook and BBm and email most of the time.. and the phone of course

other phones dont have this problem.

even still it doesnt matter if there is a bad app.. the logic is flawed.

the OS should release memory after it is done with it..

and stated above .. like the iphone .. there should be memory for instaling apps and other things..

and there should be memory for runnning everything when it needs to run it..

Contributor

I agree that the os should re-allocate the ram when done, but since it is not, there are memory reallocating apps out there that do this and avoid the dreaded battery pull. I use a memory tool on my storm as do a lot of other users.

New Contributor

where do you find that memory app?

i have tried memory up professional from the crackberry site... it did basicaly nothing..  was a waste..

Contributor

I used the memory up lite for the quick boost and it was free, Last night I purchased the bejoose software and am testing it now. Check the black berry app world and just search memory, it should be under the utilities header. You can try the free ones and see if that helps. I am not pitching the bejoose software by any means but the ratings were good and it says it runs in the back round  all the time so you don't have to open a program and and actual re-allocate. 

Hope this helps.