Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

StevieJay
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Bell

Broken Charging Port

Hi,

I am with Bell. Last year i had boughten my first bb in April, a blackberry Style.

Four months later the charging port broke. First it started off that I needed to have the cable on a certain angle to charge then it stopped working altogether.

I sent my phone away to be repaired and it was returned "un repairable" and "damage was caused due to dropping" which was absolutely not true being that I am incredibly careful with my devices and I kept a hard case on it that I went to the states specifically for and also only had it for 4 months!

Needless to say I was furious with this answer, especially since Blackberry or Bell did notthing but tell me I needed to buy a new one because it was not covered in my warranty.

After my contract is up with Bell I will be switching to Rogers and possibly switching to Team IPhone (unfortunately) if i cannot find a good blackberry or a solution to my broken BB Style.

Someone help me.

Please use plain text.
gdc
New Contributor
gdc
My Device: 9670
My Carrier: virginmobile canada

Re: Broken Charging Port

there is a guy in richmond (20 yrs exp) who does repairs

name KD

phone and ask if your phone is fixable

honest and knowledgable

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RitchieBlackmore
My Device: Treo 700w
My Carrier: Virgin

Hello friends,

Instead of replacing your iPhone by purchasing a new one at full or even discounted price, send your phone to a qualified iPhone repair center. If you happen to have insurance, double-check with your insurance company first. Oftentimes it's less expensive to repair your iPhone charge port than to pay the insurance deductible. If you do not have insurance or your insurance does not cover this damages, your best bet will be to look for a cellphone repair company online.

Regards,

Ritchie

www.txt2get.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ares0926
My Device: Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Our BB Style had this same problem. We went to the store and were told it was probably corrosion in the battery terminal but because it was a BB it couldn't even be looked at in store and had to be sent out and would cost at least $100 to fix (even thought we pay Sprint $8/month for insurance).

They were so interested in discouraging us to get it fixed and telling us that if it were water or something we would have to pay the full replacement value ($600) for the phone. He kept trying to sell us a new iPhone and their were no other BB phones to even demo in the store.

We went to a Radio Shack and wound up getting a lower price iPhone but are upset that BB wasn't represented in almost any store and were told our insurance was worthless.

Is this the type of relationship BB wants with its field sales force?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ares0926 wrote:

Our BB Style had this same problem. We went to the store and were told it was probably corrosion in the battery terminal but because it was a BB it couldn't even be looked at in store and had to be sent out and would cost at least $100 to fix (even thought we pay Sprint $8/month for insurance).

They were so interested in discouraging us to get it fixed and telling us that if it were water or something we would have to pay the full replacement value ($600) for the phone. He kept trying to sell us a new iPhone and their were no other BB phones to even demo in the store.

We went to a Radio Shack and wound up getting a lower price iPhone but are upset that BB wasn't represented in almost any store and were told our insurance was worthless.

Is this the type of relationship BB wants with its field sales force?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It does sound like whoever you spoke to was very poorly trained. But do be advised that the shop you went to was not a RIM store...it was a Sprint store, and they are a separate entity from RIM. They contract to sell BBs and BB services, but they are not RIM. So, it sounds like, if you wish to pursue a complaint path, that path would be with Sprint, would it not?

But, perhaps you wish for RIM to notice this issue...if that's your goal, I hope it's attained here. Just be aware that these forums are a user-to-user community, not a user-to/from-RIM formal communication channel.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ares0926
My Device: Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I understand that RIM does not own and opperate the Sprint store and trust me a more formal complaint has been registered with Sprint. We have had an awful. weekend with phones in general and I was using this an an outlet. I like and support BB/RIM and meant only to advise people that the stores in general will do everything they can to get you to buy a new phone. Lately, they are not demoing or pushing folks to BB but rather iPhone.

No one ever even suggested an external battery charger. ($10 at any Radio Shack or Amazon)

Please use plain text.
hrberry
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Credo (Sprint)

I too am having problems with my charging port.  Thanks for idea about external charge; also Crackberry sells a charging port.  But that doesn't help in the car, or with syncing, which I need to do daily with Outlook.  My phone is a 1 1/2 years old, and I'm on a 2-year contract.  I really want to fix this issue so that maybe -maybe! - when my contract is up I can upgrade to BB10!  I'm tempted to find a way to squeeze the mini-usb socket to hold the plug better.  Any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kala2525
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Bell

I also had the same problem with my phone and did not want to pay to have it fixed.  I did some googling and found that the style has a charging doc which uses the same cord as the charger but the phone just sits in it as it charges.  I found mine on ebay and works great. 

Please use plain text.