Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

Trusted Contributor
SGoodman
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Can't create new email account

Greetings,

I'm having trouble setting up a new email account. I click Setup > Email Accounts > Internet Mail Account. I then get the following error:

"Your device had a problem connecting to the server"

Retry, Cancel

I am able to connect to the Internet using the browser, so it doesn't appear to be connectivity issue. Doing a Soft Reset and pulling the battery doesn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shane.

Z10 (version 10.2.1.3442)
LTE Playbook (version 2.1.0.1917)
Forums Veteran I
Ronbob
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Can't create new email account

Please make sure you have a Blackberry Data plan to support this feature, and an ample amount of coverage.

Ron
...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up :smileyhappy:

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

Trusted Contributor
SGoodman

Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by "BlackBerry data plan", but the BlackBerry icon is on, and I didn't have any trouble setting up my @telus.blackberry.net email account when I first got the phone.

As for coverage, I've got five bars. Connecting to the Internet using the Browser is not an issue.

Thanks,

Shane.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

On your Manage Connections screen, click on the Services Status.
What is the status of the BlackBerry Internet Service?

If that says "Mobile network" or via "Wifi", then you should be ok.

Please try this FIRST, using your BlackBerry browser...

1)
• Go to mobile.blackberry.com
• Scroll down to Communication and then to Email.
• Choose the appropriate email set up options.

If that works and completes your email setup/editing, good.

If not, follow these additional instructions:

2) Register HRT: (OS5) Home Screen > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > Scroll to any line entry and > press the Menu key > and then click Register Now. If you have an OS 6 or OS 7 device, Look at Options > Device > Advanced > Host Routing Table, etc.

3) Resend Service Books: Article ID: KB02830 How to send the service books for a BlackBerry Internet Service account. http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830

4) Then, with the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

5) Now, return to the 1) mobile.blackberry.com email setup as mentioned above and follow that.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
SGoodman

The error message has gone away. I haven't done any of the troubleshooting steps, so I don't know what was causing the problem, or why it went away by itself.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I will try them if I get the error again.

Regards,

Shane.

JSanders

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
jelvove
My Device: 9650

I can no longer access my existing Yahoo or MSN mail account settings, or create a new account (for Gmail) through set up/email account/internet mail account on my BB.  I get a prompt indicating "if you want ot access your email settings or you changed your device, log in." followed by a prompt for a user name and password.  I don't recall setting this up, but when I type in what I think is my user name, it doesn't recognize it with any of my would-be passwords.  If I try to use a user that looks like an email address (e.g., has xxx@yahoo com), it I get a propmt indicating "The user name is invalid. A user name must be at least 4 characters."  (Don't understand this)   There also is a button for "Forgot Password" which lets me type in a user name that could be an email address, but after I type it in and click "continue" it disappears (i.e., it doesn't appear anywhere).  Hence, I;'m stuck (i.e., I can't add a new internet mail account and I can't change the settings of my existing accounts).  My BB is a 9650 running version 6.0.0.719.  Advice?

JSanders

Hey try this. Using your browser go to mobile.blackberry.com scroll down to communicate and then to email and attempt your email setup there

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
jelvove
My Device: 9650

That worked!  Thanks.  It's a nice backdoor way to manage my mail accounts, though I sure wish I could do this from my device.  Oh well, this will tide me over though.

Another related question.  Is there a limit on the number of mail accounts one can have on a blackberry?  I have three mail accounts (MSN, Yahoo & VZW) and want to add a 4th (Gmail) account.  I see there is the ability to add another account, but when I enter the information, it sends a request out, but returns me to the same site (to view or add mail accounts) where I can still see my existing 3 accounts, but not the new one I thought I had added.  (sure wish it would tell me if I did something wrong, or if the limit is 3 mail accounts)

Thanks.

JSanders

jelvove wrote:

That worked!  Thanks.  It's a nice backdoor way to manage my mail accounts, though I sure wish I could do this from my device.  Oh well, this will tide me over though

You're welcome, and your normal login may start working again.

jelvove wrote:

Another related question.  Is there a limit on the number of mail accounts one can have on a blackberry?  I have three mail accounts (MSN, Yahoo & VZW) and want to add a 4th (Gmail) account.  I see there is the ability to add another account, but when I enter the information, it sends a request out, but returns me to the same site (to view or add mail accounts) where I can still see my existing 3 accounts, but not the new one I thought I had added.  (sure wish it would tell me if I did something wrong, or if the limit is 3 mail accounts)

No, the limit is ten BIS accounts, so I am not sure why you're getting that error.

When you go to mobile.blackberry.com > Communicate > Email, there should be a specific GMail link to setup, is that what you're using?

Knowledge Base Updates