Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

New Contributor
bmcnamara
My Device: Blackberry Style 9760

How long should my Style last on a charge under 'normal' use?

I picked up a Style in January and had it connect via our corporate BES.  I get a few dozen emails a day and reply only occassionally via the BB.  More often I use my PC during daylight hours.  After hours I get a dozen or so emails, a few (3 - 5) facebook updates, a text message now and again (0 - 2) and little else on a daily basis.  I take only support calls when I am not near a land line which averages one or two per day.  I've turned down the backlight to 50% and keep only the minimum number of messages.  I try to reply without earlier messages when I can.  I've tailored down my use of the Style to as low as I dare and yet I cannot get more than a few hours of standby time.  If I get on a call that last any length of time at all (20 mins or longer) I get nervous that the phone will lose the radio.  

I'm using a Style 9760 with 6.0 bundle 2426  with Sprint.  I have 224,720,665 Bytes of Free Memory and resetting the battery doesn't affect this.  I have the basic apps but also Facebook for BB and Google Maps, neither of which are on unless I am using it.  I typically only have the basic 5 apps that come with the BB running.  

This doesn't seem to get any better the longer I have the phone.  I've tried some suggestions from the local Sprint store but they don't seem to affect it to any significant degree.  

I'm just concerned that the style was designed to be charged a few times each day.  Can someone give me a clear idea how long this should last on standby and when I am using it either as a phone or a text device? 

- bdm
Retired
SmoothRider
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: How long should my Style last on a charge under 'normal' use?

Hey bmcnamara,

Welcome to the forums.

From your post it sounds like you are doing most things right to save on battery power. One additional thing you can try is turning off locations services. If you use Maps or Facebook Places or any other application that use GPS then will not want to turn this off.

Here is how to turn of location services on your BlackBerry smartphone. Options - Device - Location Settings.

Let us know how you make out. 

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
bmcnamara

Thanks I will try this also.  I discovered that deleting my older messages made a significant difference.  I had messages that went way back.  I didn't see any reason to delete them but a good friend asked me if I tried this.  I hadn't so two weeks ago I did this and I'm up to 2-3 days on a charge.  

I have noticed that my replies via the blackberry were lost once I did this, but I believe I can 'automatically copy myself' on these and keep them in outlook.  I'll have to search for this option but I should be good at this point.  :Clap:

- bdm
New Contributor
dupeshoberoi
My Device: style 9670

Hi,

I am using the same handset in India and facing same battery issue here.

I doubt that your battery will last for 2-3 days.

My usage is

hardly 2-3 calls, or you can say 20 minutes.

I receive 20-30 emails per day but I delete them straight away as I use my laptop for that.

I have turned off the GPS location too.

However I am not getting the battery back up on standby of more than 10-15 hours, I have to charge my blackberry handset twice a day.

There is one more problem started the battery some times get heated up like boiling, and some time camera flash like start working like a torch and battery drains out too quick.

Any suggestions.....

Thanks

D.O.

New Contributor
bmcnamara

I found that the Blackberry vendors don't have the batteries and would expect I would need on.  But they suggested I download a one of the cleanup tools.  I tried this but it was just another application and I think I can do this if I keep the running applications to a minimum and reboot the blackberry once per week.

I will press and hold the blackberry menu (the seven dots button) to see all of the applications I am running and close everything except the five built in applications (mail, home, browser, bb-msgr and phone).  I typically use Facebook and Google Maps throughout the day but I'm getting better at starting them and then closing them after use.  

I also use some other applications (utilities, games, etc.) but I have discovered which ones are power hogs and which aren't but I'm still pretty quick to close/shotdown any applications that I don't need at the moment.    

In the end, most of this experimenting helped me get 2-3 days of use.  I'm not on the phone talking for much more than 30 minutes per day.  I use it more for text, mobile email repsonse (rarely do I start a long email on my BB) and the occassional browser session (movie listings, nearby restaurant).  

- bdm
New Contributor
dupeshoberoi
My Device: style 9670

i don't even use my phone for any other applications excpet to check if i have an email or not when i am off from work.

i don't use facebook, don't use maps and don't even chat on BBM or use any other chat tools.

i talk over the phone not more than 20 minutes a day, still the battery drains out like i need to plug in charger 24 hours a day....i got this phone 2 months ago and now a days battery is getting heated up too much that i can't hold the phone...

any suggestions..

Regards,

D.O.

Contributor
cbosseme
My Device: Blackberry Style

It sounds like you are having the camera issues.  There are several previous posts that talk about this issue.   Go back and look for posts about camera and battery drain.  There are too many to list here. 

Good luck.