Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

kmk
New Contributor
My Device: style
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

Missing calls--phone not ringing

Sometimes my phone acts like it's on silent mode: a call comes in and I can see it on the screen, but it's not making any ringing sound. The very next call rings just fine, even if it's the same person who just called when the phone was silent. Sound settings are on "Normal." The tech guys at the local store are mystified.

Any ideas why this is happening? 

Thanks much!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style

Re: Missing calls--phone not ringing

After playing with all the menus, etc., I simply pressed the side button and turned the ringer back on my husband's phone.  He was holding it and pressing the sides too hard, not realizing he was shutting the ringer off...too simple, but glad that's all it was!

kmk
New Contributor

I thought that was happening to me, too, when it happened while the phone was in my pocket. But yesterday it happened while it was sitting on the table in front of me. Gremlins, perhaps. I suspect it's been happening since I've had the phone but never noticed it, as I always think, "oh, I must've not heard it ringing." But sitting right next to it while it rings silently one time and normally the next is convincing that there is a problem.

During one of the customer service calls I made, the tech did some voodoo and had me re-start it after a battery pull. A couple of "uncaught exception" alerts popped up, but he said to ignore them. I've not seen them since (that was Friday, and it's been re-started with battery pulls a few times since then). The last "uncaught exception" I had on my BB Tour required a whole wiping of the operating system. Think that's the lurking problem?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Whether it is or not, I'm a big advocate of reloading your OS to your phone after you've tried battery pulls.

It's quite a simple process.  If you know how to do it, I recommend going ahead with it.  If you don't, please post back and we'll help you with it.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

kmk
New Contributor

Thanks for the response, Bill

I'm actually headed to the store today to have this done. We did a reset to factory conditions Thursday and it didn't work but actually increased the percentage of silent calls. I'll let y'all know.

--k

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670

I had this problem also, and the only fix was to reboot the phone and then take out the battery.  I took it back to the cellular store where I got it; they had me update the phone's software and PRL location, they then even tried wiping the phone clean electronically.

It was an intermittent problem, so I constantly had to check to see if the ringer would work.  So the cellular store finally took it back and replaced it with a new one.  Now I'm thinking it's working fine.  Knock on wood.

Gillis

kmk
New Contributor

That's what finally did it for me--replacing the phone (though it's only been 2 days, so it might be a problem with the Blackberry software and not the carrier, as I've spoken to friends who have the same intermittent problem and with 2 other carriers). The OS wipe did nothing except add to the headaches because of having to reset everything. And, even the alarm started to not ring once in a while--a bad bad thing! Missing a call is one thing, but not getting up in the morning is a major impediment to holding down a job. AND I BOUGHT INSURANCE! 

Thanks for your help, folks! 

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: fido

Having the same issue. Sent logs to rim and opened a ticket. No solution yet. 

New Contributor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Telstra

Not all that impressed with the BB Z10.

among its failings it goes silent without telling me: no vibration and no noise for notifications.

have to reboot it.

this is a pretty fundamental shortcoming in a phone I would have thought.

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: BELL

I have had my Style phone for 2 years now.  It has continually stopped ringing every 2-4 months.  I have unplugged the battery, and also uploaded software 3 times.  Again, now, it is not ringing.  It is very disappointing.  I am not sure I want to continue with blackberry because of this issue.  It is a big issue as I use it primarily as a phone not as  a tablet.  If anyone has any more suggestions on how to get it working I would really appreciate the help.