Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

Contributor
barrydyc
My Device: Style
Accepted Solution

Style not receiving all email messages

I recently changed mail-servers. Neither the current nor the previous mail server are in house. We route our in-house email through MS Exchange Server. We do not run BB Enterprise Server so I have set up my BB Style to go directly to the external mail server. I am using MS Outlook 2010 on my desktop computer.

My BB Style is not receiving all the emails coming to me. Some emails come through our MS Exchange Server but not to my BB. Other emails are received both on my device and desktop.

Any ideas why this is happening.

Barry

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Style not receiving all email messages

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You will need to check your internet-facing mail system that you are using to integrate to the BB...depending on it's capabilities something could be happening. Refer:

• KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

For example...

• IF your desktop Outlook client is pulling emails from the same server every 10 minutes

AND

• IF your desktop Outlook client is removing them from the server when it does so

THEN

• There will be nothing on the server when BIS makes it's check of the server (maximum every 15 minutes)

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
barrydyc

I suppose this could be the problem. It's curious that it was not an issue for the first year of using my BB Style.

Our Exchange Server is going to the mail server every 15 minutes. I don't know how to determine the frequency with which my BB looks for mail on the mail server, nor do I know how to adjust that time. I suppose if the BB looked for mail every 5 minutes and the Exchange Server looked and deleted mail every 15 minutes, I should get the majority of the emails on my Blackberry. But there is likely no assurance that I would get all email messages on the BB. Is there really no solution to this problem?

Barry

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You cannot control how frequent BIS (not the BB, technically) checks for email. If there is "nothing to do", then it's every 15 minutes. But, if it finds "something to do", it shortens that considerably, and continues with a short duration until there is again "nothing to do", at which point it begins gradually lengthening the interval. But there is no user controllable setting for BIS...it does what it does. This holds true for all POP, but can be different for IMAP, and different as well if your server supports true PUSH that BIS can interface with.

The reason it may have not been an issue before could be due to what you already said...you changed servers...and the capabilities of the prior may be different than the current, as related to how BIS can interface with it.

Often, it can be a good idea to remove all email accounts from the BB, wait an hour, then put them back. Sometimes, if for instance there has been a BIS upgrade by your carrier, you receiving that upgrade won't happen until this process is complete.

Again, though, like you I'm guessing...I have no access to anything "behind the scenes" to tell me anything for sure.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
barrydyc

Thanks for the quick response. Should I do a Security Wipe to best accomplish our goals of a fresh start? If I did I would simply create a fresh account (but using prior email address, user ID and password) and sync down to the device from my Outlook account after waiting at least an hour.

BB has three options for the security wipe. 1) email, contacts, etc. 2) User installed applications and 3) Media card. Is there any reason why I should wipe 2) and 3)? I only have a couple or three UIAs and I don't do videos or music. Just a few photos of the grandchildren.

Barry

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, that's a bit more drastic than anything I've yet recommended...I tend to recommend the "least damaging" possible fixes first, and progress into those that are "more damaging" only if necessary. The WIPE is the second most "damaging" or "drastic" method...but if that's the resolution you wish to jump to, feel free!

Indeed, you've not yet even done these steps (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Sometimes, if the Service Books (for example) have become corrupt, this can clear things up.

After that, I usually recommend the removal and reintegration of the affected email account. Following the failure of that, the removal and reintegration of all email accounts. Failing that, I'd start to move toward the WIPE actions (preceded by the removal of all integrated email accounts), then followed by clean OS reloads.

But everything must be preceded by determining exactly what behavior to expect...not knowing the capabilities between your new server and BIS, for example, means we don't even know yet if the behavior we are already seeing is expected or not. So, if it is expected, then we're already seeing all that we will see, and nothing we do will change it. So I really do recommend first determining what the expected behavior should be, based on all of the factors I've provided to you. Then, if we can truly determine that it is not correct now, you would proceed with attempts at remedy. But that's my method...you can choose other methods, of course

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
barrydyc

Thanks for the suggestions. Apologies for the delay in responding. I've been busy with other things.

So I'm trying to register at the Host Routing Table and there are 5 options for me to choose from. Four CDMA options and on Wi-Fi option. Which one do I register with. The one at the top of the list is Bold but is would seem I could register for any of the 5.

BD

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

It does not matter...any line item in the HRT can be current when you queue the HRT message up. It does not matter.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
barrydyc

I have gone through steps 1 and 2 as you suggested. After sending the service books the activation server sent me an "action required" message indicating I should change my Outlook settings to leave email messages on the the mail server. We are running our desk top email through MS Exchange Server and I am told by my IT support person that MS Exchange Server does not allow us an option to leave emails on the mail server. Comments?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Referring back to Post 2 in this thread -- if your email server (the one facing the Internet, with which BIS interacts) is capable of reconciling with the BB (via BIS) items deleted on the server, then you have no choice in the matter, given what you've now been told.

If you absolutely must retain all items on your BB, then you would I suppose need to set up an auto forwarder that sends everything you receive in your Outlook client out to a different email address. Then you integrate that to your BB so that you can keep that library of items on your BB. You, of course, cannot use those items for any useful purpose (e.g., if you reply, it'll be coming from this secondary email address), but at least you'd have them on your BB.

What your IT person told you is, however, quite unusual indeed. MS Exchange is intended to be a post office and mailbox containing entity, and has a ton of other power as well. I've never actually heard before of anyone using it in this manner, requiring that the client app remove items from the server (encouragement is always in place, via mailbox size quotas and such...but the requirement is rather unusual in my experience). That requirement would seem to make your MS Exchange environment function much more like a POP/SMTP environment, negating all of the power of MS Exchange, and thereby causing me to think that you are not getting the value from that environment that it offers. But, to each his own!

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.