Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Style™

New Contributor
johng1945
My Device: 9670
My Carrier: sprint

Unknown Icons

Ive noticed a black square in the top right corner of the screen with RF in it. Don't remember seeing it before. It goes away when you unlock the phone. It hides the signal strenth bars when its there then allows the bars to be seen when you open the phone.

Also the battery goes down exceptionally fast when in my new GMC pickup. Is there any type of interference involved with the vehicle. Sometimes i leave the phone in the console and it usually goes down by the next day. 

Any help appreciated

John

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Unknown Icons

Maybe it's set to a different language. When it's locked press alt + enter and see if you can set the language to English.

As for the battery issue, if you leave the phone in the car it's possible that the device has to up the power in order to keep a good signal. That will run the battery down faster than normal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
johng1945

I see everything in english.  the sprint folks didn't know what it meant also.. i really don't remember seeing the black square covering the signal bars when i opened the phone b 4.  like i said the black square goes awan and the signal bars appear when you unlock the phone.

john

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Without seeing it I'm just going on guesses. Can you post a pic or screenshot?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
johng1945

i don't have the phone here.  but like i said, its a black square in the top right corner where the sigal strenth bars are.  when u unlock the phone the bars appear.   the black square has RF in it.

john

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Does it look like this?  If so, that is a language indicator.  I'm not sure what language "RF" is but are you sure it isn't "FR"?  That would be French.  You will see the language indicator any time you have the cursor in a field where you can type text. 

As I mentioned above, when you see the language indicator, either on the lock screen or on any other screen when you are typing text, you need only type alt+enter to change the language back to English.  Right now the device you see in the pic is set to English UK. 

IMG_20140629_191017.jpg

The following screenshot is after I hit alt+enter and shows that you can choose the input language:

IMG_20140629_191836.jpg

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

There are also more settings for this in Options >Typing and Language >Language (your menus may vary as the device I'm using is on OS 7.1)

One note, as I sit here and play with my spare 9900 I found that after I changed the language to English GB a couple of times the icon didn't want to go away even after I changed it back to English US. In the Language settings was the ability to hide the icon. Once I hid the icon the box went away. There is a bug in there somewhere.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Supercomputer
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

I think it might be if you downloaded a new theme . By the way you can hide it . By going to settings
Please use plain text.